Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Bluetooth Ammo Can boombox

edited November 2017 in DIY
I know a million of these things have been built, but a good friend of mine expressed interest in one, so I figured it would be a good way to get rid of some DIY stuff that's been sitting on my shelves for too long.  So here goes........  It's a surplus 0.50cal FAT ammo can, 2 x FaitalPRO 3FE25 full range drivers (4ohm), 2 x Dayton ND105 woofers (8ohm in parallel), a 2.1 Hi-Fi Class D Audio Amplifier Board, Shure bluetooth module and a 12v 7AH battery.  I used 200uf of capacitance on each FaitalPRO driver for a first order 200uf high pass filter.  The amp board supposedly has a 150hz low pass, so I just left the ND105s alone. It sounds surprisingly good and if you sit it in a corner, the bass is insane.  If I could do it again, I'd figure out a way to completely isolate the FaitalPRO drivers.  I wrapped them in ultratouch denim, but there's still excess excursion from sharing the internal volume with the ND105s.  I used a 1.5" x 4" port.  Don't ask me what the tuning is....I have no clue.  This thing is stuffed like a can of sardines.  That said, I hope I never have to service it.

I burnt out a few bits and many dremel cutting wheels cutting thru this steel box.  It's fairly heavy gauge and I now realize I lack the proper tools for cutting such material.  It was fun making gigantic showers of sparks in the garage though.  I initially lined much of the box with CLD tiles from Sound Deadener Showdown and it made a huge difference with the ringing of the can.  It passes the knuckle rap test bigtime.

Enough of my babbling.  Here are some construction pics.

My signature goes here
kennyk

Comments

• kennyk4thtry
    My signature goes here

• kennykani_1014thtryS7910
    My signature goes here
  • edited November 2017

kennyk4thtryJasonP
    My signature goes here
  • edited November 2017

kennyk4thtryJasonP
    My signature goes here
  • You could use this enclosure,

Save those wonton soup containers. ;)
    ............. could you hum a few bars.

• kennykD1PP1NJasonP
    My signature goes here

• kennyk4thtryJasonP
    My signature goes here
  • edited November 2017
    kennyk said:
    You could use this enclosure,

Save those wonton soup containers. ;)
    No chance with the battery I used.  There was zero space to create sub-enclosures for the full range drivers.  Trust me.....I tried multiple battery orientations, etc. I considered using a 2AH battery but since it's going to be used outside a lot, it needed to have long battery life. #Tradeoffs.
    kennyk
    My signature goes here
  • Flame thrower!!! Nice build
  • Badass, but that's not a .50 cal ammo can, that's a 5.56 or .223 that's used in the AR-15 and M-14/16. Ahhhhh the ma-duece, I can load one of those with my eyes closed BOPBOPBOPBOPBOP haha

deadhorse - leviathan - harbinger - shockwave (wip)
  • Badass, but that's not a .50 cal ammo can, that's a 5.56 or .223 that's used in the AR-15 and M-14/16. Ahhhhh the ma-duece, I can load one of those with my eyes closed BOPBOPBOPBOPBOP haha

It was sold to me as a FAT 50. Basically I wanted as much internal volume as possible but I’m the last guy who knows about this stuff. Thanks for clarifying. 
    My signature goes here
  • Cool set of pictures and nice design!  I really like how you engineered all those small electronic devices and speakers into such a small space!  Good job!

Did you take the "sparks flying" shot yourself?  It seems like it.  Looks really cool!

• 4thtry said:

Cool set of pictures and nice design!  I really like how you engineered all those small electronic devices and speakers into such a small space!  Good job!

Did you take the "sparks flying" shot yourself?  It seems like it.  Looks really cool!

Thanks Bill and yes, I took the sparks pic myself.  It wasn't the easiest shot. LOL.
    My signature goes here
  • Good to see you “in the saddle” again, brother. Nice work!
    I have a signature.
  • edited November 2017
    I'll share feedback from the new owner when I get it.  I suspect I hit all his requirements and then some. We'll see. Thanks @jr@mac. Will be starting a 5.1 HT system for my lil bro-in-law this week. I find it funny that lately (last couple years) I've found myself doing projects when external heating is needed. I have a new propane heater that makes me nervous but it heats the garage in no time. #tradeoffs   
    My signature goes here
  • Couple things I'd add to the project in hindsight.  Some sort of affordable volt meter that gives an indication of the battery charge, and a USB charging port for a phone.  
    kennyk
    My signature goes here
  • Nice work. The battery option would be a nice touch to have. My garage should be fully operational within 2weeks Bryan. Heated and insulated. I still need to find a cheap 32"-40" lcd tv to wall mount. But otherwise your always welcome to come by. 

I need to get a few pairs of speakers built ive been slacking. 
    kennykBryan@MACgreywarden