Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Studio monitors

edited October 2017 in DIY
Hi all, my sister wants to give my BIL a pair of DIY studio monitors (he is a MC and will open a small studio clowmc in youtube).
So now I need a pair of inexpensive monitors to build... 
I was looking at the Hitmakers as I remember them having good reviews. 
What would you recommend as a studio monitor that would not break the bank?

Comments

• Anything offering good extension, smooth on and off-axis response, and can take a whooping is a studio monitor, Alexis. 

What differentiates "studio monitors" from "not studio monitors" is they (studio monitors) are designed to follow the same principles as good "not studio monitors", but they are often active (for one specific reason), and are generally finished in such a way to be robust while being taken from place to place (which is why they are often active - facilitates setup in a different studio and brings one or more pieces of the audio chain along for familiarity sake). 

If you are looking for playback monitors or front of house monitors, that is a different ball game. 

So what are you expecting him to use these for? Playing to the club or playing/tweaking his mixes in private?
    I have a signature.
  • Position counts. 

In a desktop/console really messes with the response. 

One of the things that make Yahama (forgot the model) moitors so respected is the way they have amazing reaponse once on a console, but measure wonky free-space. 

The hit-makers are popular and like Paul's other designs I am sure they are great and a good reference for making music that will be played on other systems,  I don't know enough of them to say go/no go, i just have the above thought anytime I hear studio monitor. 
  • If you need a powered system, I think it would be really tough to build anything that's up to the task for less than the smaller JBL LSR monitors. For passive, I would give the nod to Paul's Hitmakers, having built & heard a few of his designs.

Here's a great article about the Yamaha NS10 - https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/yamaha-ns10-story
    JasonP
  • jr@mac said:
    If you are looking for playback monitors or front of house monitors, that is a different ball game. 

So what are you expecting him to use these for? Playing to the club or playing/tweaking his mixes in private?
    I would expect tweaking mixes and probably sit in a desktop. 
    Let's look the JBL LSR.