Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Ribbon measuring

Did I screw up? I used a 30uf cap inline with the tweeter . I measured only the one but as you can see the foil is no longer flat . This was after two sweeps with the low end starting at 1k and ending at 20k. 

Comments

• How loud did you crank it? Is that a NeoCD1.0?

This is the exact reason why I have always avoided ribbons - too fragile. Anyway, NeoCD1.0 recommends a 3rd order crossover at 3.5kHz or more, so maybe a 2nd or 3rd order filter at least for testing would be best.
    I'm not deaf, I'm just not listening.
  • Def not a CD1.0, it's bigger than that. That said- likely no longer any good with that element installed.You might be able to replace it!? Possible I suppose...

When Jeff measured the NeoCD3.0 I have with a 20uF at his place awhile back, it didn't seem like it was an issue. How loud was it?

• I'll check the measurements when I get home , pretty sure it was under 90 db. The volume on the amp was set mid way. Treble and bass knob also set Midway. I'll look for a replacement element today. Oh and the tweeters are fountek neo x 2.0
  • 90dB@1m? If you're just measuring frequency response, it doesn't need to be that loud. You should be able to drop the level by a good 10dB and still get the same measurement, since all you have to worry about is the noise floor.
    I'm not deaf, I'm just not listening.
  • You should be able to replace the foil yourself. I think Madi sells foils for various ribbons.
  • 90dB isn't even a watt, so I don't know why they failed. Most ribbons are almost 100dB sensitivity.
  • Yeah , if they are similar to my aurum cantus , I can replace it. Thanks Roman, I'll try madisound first. 
  • PE actually sells Fountek now. I forgot. They should have foils as well. They are inexpensive.
    90db is not a high level even for a small ribbon, protected by the capacitor. Perhaps, something else went wrong? Shorted wire somewhere?
    Out of curiosity, post the FR of the damaged tweeter VS the stock one.
  • Ok, I'll try madisound first though since I have a couple things I'd like to get from them . I can post the measurement tonight when I get home. 
  • No luck from either . I will try and reuse or stretch out the existing one. 
  • Where did you get it. Just send it back-defective.
    ............. could you hum a few bars.
  • But I can't send them back to MAC
  • They were door prizes. I'll get something figured oot
  • Return them to MAC and get 1st pick at IOWA. ;)

• Im guessing the 3k and below is what did it . The cap must not have been enough. 
    I have an email off to fountek and waiting on a reply. 
  • kennyk said:
    Return them to MAC and get 1st pick at IOWA. ;)
    oh man , I wouldnt feel right doing that. 
  • kennyk said:
    Return them to MAC and get 1st pick at IOWA. ;)
    Bite your tongue young man!
    kennyk
    My signature goes here
  • I did splice two sets of wires and hooked up the cap between the two. I checked for any shorts too and all good there. Scared to test the second one. 
  • Do you have digital caliper? If you can measure the thickness of foil, you could make your own. I can ask Dmitry, what Fountek uses. He probably knows.
  •  I will try and reuse or stretch out the existing one. 
    You can do that too.
  • edited October 2017
    I found a this on youtube. 
  • Thanks all, I'll have to stop by Sears or Lowe's today. I don't have the right size torx to get the face plate off. I probably do somewhere just dont want to go digging. They're cheap enough.
  • Roman, I have a digital guage , just not sure how accurate it is. Might be worth a shot. Let me see if I can get the old ribbon out first. Looks like they have some type of neato wedge system that holds them in. I don't recall the aurum cantus being like this.
  • Found my set , they were in the Jeep. Cause that's where guys leave their tools don't ya know. It's a T15 if anyone's curious.

• Top and bottom screws are Allen heads , one almost looks like it's been out before? Or maybe it came this way from China.
  • Maybe it was already like this and I didn't notice?
  • Anyone at MAC know who these were procured from? These came from Dakota diy this last summer.
  • Well shit , looks like the Allen head screws are metric. Maybe someone tried to use a standard size on this one and that's why the one Allen head looks stripped? Guess I'm stopping by Lowe's after all.