Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Time PETT becomes a classroom

edited October 2017 in Announcements
MAC/DIY has become the Masterclass. We should use PETT as an introduction/classroom for the uninitiated. Sorry if this sounds arrogant.

............. could you hum a few bars.

Comments

• I just want everyone to be cool and get along. No drama is nice i have enough stress in my life i dont want a hobby i love to add to it. So far so good here. I basically left TT for like a year or two when it appeared people were posting to just purposely trying to gnaw at people and be nasty. I like people that speak their mind and i can take jokes / critisism very well. I want to hear people theories and reasoning for their decisions and opposing viewpoints. 

Im glad i met all of you guys and I found you all on PETT for that im grateful. I hope new people that are cool and hungry to lean can get into ths forum and keep it going. 
    greywardenJasonP4thtry
  • Sorry, I felt everyone could contribute, if they want to. PETT needs that guidance. This forum can delve into the "science" of speaker design and share it with the DIY community.

............. could you hum a few bars.
  • Kenny- your post of this ilk on PETT is somewhat vague or undetailed to where I didn't know what you were trying to do or get at. It just seemed like the post from another thread that got deleted or something. Now that I see what you're trying to do, I'll likely reply over there...
  • kennyk said:
    Sorry, I felt everyone could contribute, if they want to. PETT needs that guidance. This forum can delve into the "science" of speaker design and share it with the DIY community.

Hey Kenny,
        It is a forum. Not a class room. It is also limited to the type of technical.information that suits the box of what everyone there levys their technical for to fit, what has become the "definition" of a good loudspeaker. 

1. Neat squiggles that represent good axial reaponse

2. A Z that isnt too low and "keeps it between the 45's"

3. A reverse  null of some kind

4. Good phase tracking through the crossover region

5.  Low measurable distortion

6. Driver brekup supressed

7. A reasonable cabinet with some sort of bracing....

8. Bass alignment of the week! (For a while it was TLs, now PRs, and so on) 

If People hit those, the speaker will more or less sound good, and represent a great value. 

However all of that represents only about 1/4 of actual loudspeaker design. What remains is below the water line and is subject to "if you squeeze here, it will bulge there". People who have historically tried to discuss these topics (including me) get ridden out on a pole because it is heresy to sugguest not everything meaningful is measurable (at least directly), despite that being a common theme among SEVERAL  experts who literaly wrote books on loudspeaker design. 

I have tried to share thoughs on such topics, such as the Vegatron measurements which are way more about sound power spatially averaged than axial reaponse, even though axial reaponse is pretty good, but there is little to no discussion in such things, so Inhave stopped posting a lot of my work/expirements everywhere. 

I find peace of mind in the fact that many of the greats are begging for additional work to be done in such topics, then quantified by human preference. Gives A LOT of room for thought and expirementation keeping it fun. 

However it is no less technical than the very mathmatical relationships that define filters of T/S parameters, or enclosure alignments.  The latter is subject to extreme non-linearites though. It is just not well defined due to the increase in variables, one major one being the fact that at some point, you have to stop trying to define everything in sine waves. Kippel has done a GREAT amount of work in this arena specific to driver design, as has FEA. 

I think all of the information in PETT seems to be about as deep as anyone wants to dive for that forum. From my expirence, it gets kind of lonely after that. Its also frustrating and sad because I feel I am reaching the limits of my capability and the more I learn, the more I realize the less I know....And I am still trying to build a lousdpeaker that moves me like the Vivids or Tidals I have heard... :/
    4thtry