Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

I may have saved an old guys life today!

Well actually all I did was call 911 and met the EMT's at the forest preserve entrance and directed them to where the guy was at.

Long story short I was sitting in the park eating my lunch when this old guy staggered up to me mumbling.  I was able to understand him say that he took 30 pills and drank a whole bottle of Jack.  Then he said he changed his mind and wanted help.  Something about a neighbor harrassing him for years...  then he passed out.  I know nothing about CPR or anything like that so I thought it better for me to get the pros there as fast as possible instead of just sitting there with him.

I was shocked at how fast the EMT's got there.  Maybe 5 to 7 minutes after I got off 911 I heard the sirens in the distance.  They took my info and I was free to go back to work.  I wonder if he made it.
jr@macgreywardenjhollanderJasonP4thtryD1PP1NkennykNicholas_23MzissersonS7910

Comments

• Quick thinking my friend. Nice work. 
    I have a signature.
  • Very glad you were there Craig
  • That is absolutely great - most of us fumble in such shock situations....
  • One of the most horrific phone calls my wife has received was a coworker who was en route to end it all. She gleaned all the info she could, and I told her to hang up and call 911. They found her, helped her, and she's alive today. She called after to tell my wife thank you, and that was the reply we hoped for. She's moved since, but is doing much better in general. I'm just glad we helped.
  • Good that you called the EMT. I imagine cpr or the like wouldn't have been much use with all that in his system. I'm not knowledgeable in this stuff but I would think the first thing needed would be to get his stomach pumped.
  • Unfortunately I will probably never know how this poor guy ended up doing.  I will watch the obits in the local paper for the next week and hope I don't see his picture there....  I feel so unsettled right now if that makes any sense.
  • PWRRYD said:
    Unfortunately I will probably never know how this poor guy ended up doing.  I will watch the obits in the local paper for the next week and hope I don't see his picture there....  I feel so unsettled right now if that makes any sense.

Don't feel bad, no matter what happened you did what you could and after that point it was out of your hands. I have actually had way too much experience with this type of thing, I've seen at least 5 people die or dead in car accidents and I've never even worked in any first response field, I just spend a lot of time on the road and enough time on convoys in Iraq. I try my best to not let it bother me, but sometimes it will creep up on you down the road. If you even think you might need to talk to a therapist about it, just go ahead and schedule the appointment, don't even sit on it for a minute. Better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it, like I always say.
    deadhorse - leviathan - harbinger - shockwave (wip)
  • greywarden is correct. You did what you could. If you wouldn't have come across him his chance of survival would have been much worse so just by that you did a lot.
  • Craig you are a HERO, like it or not. You came to the aid of a person in need. Proud to know ya. :)
    D1PP1NJasonPWolf
    ............. could you hum a few bars.
  • Crazy dude!