Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

What to do?

I happen to have some spare drivers laying around and cant decide what I want to do with them.

4 hivi b3n, 1 tang band 6.5in sub (thinking boombox)

2 seas er18rnx, 2 seas 27tbfcg, 2 peerless 10in woofers, the ones used in the tarkus. (possibly 3way with sealed woofer)

Also thinking of redoing the crossover of my current 3ways which consist of Jeff B's continuum and bass module. If I do this I may look for a suitable rs28a replacement while I'm at it. I have been looking and have seen a couple that might fit the bill.

Comments

• Those are a lot of good parts to work with.

I think the ER18RNX is overkill for a midrange driver. Trade/sell those for something 5" like the Vifa NE or maybe a Mark Audio and I think you would be in business.

What do you think is lacking in the Continuum/Module? Having heard the Continuum a couple years back I really liked it. Maybe you are just feeling DIY wanderlust?
    = Howard Stark: "This is the key to the future. I'm limited by the technology of my time, but one day you'll figure this out."
  • I may sell the ERs but I do like overkill lol.

As far as the continuum/module they sound good but I think I would like them better without the bbc curve. My crossovers are not optimized for the baffle width either. I re purposed some old cabs that are quite a bit wider than the continuum.

I was A/Bing them against Zaphs SR71 speakers and I prefer the mid and highs of the SR71. I have always like the seas 27tbfcg over the RS28a too. The continuum on the other hand has a scooped midrange type of sound which is part of the design.
  • I like the idea of an all seas 2-way passive.  I've got a concept of a narrow mid array with single tweeter on top of a bass bin, could do all Peerless.  You would the great imaging of a small speaker with some bass.
     John H, btw forum has decided I don't get emails
  • Killa, I may have an answer for you on that 'w/o BBC curve issue...

I'll be in touch,

Wolf

• I like the idea of an all seas 2-way passive.  I've got a concept of a narrow mid array with single tweeter on top of a bass bin, could do all Peerless.  You would the great imaging of a small speaker with some bass.
    Yeah I was thinking of doing something like this too but I am trying to use what I already have. If the b3n were a little more sensitive I would use those with the peerless 10" but I doubt they would have enough sensitivity to keep up even with two per side. Would't exactly be an array but would be a slim tower with a bass bin.
  • Wolf said:

Killa, I may have an answer for you on that 'w/o BBC curve issue...

I'll be in touch,

Wolf

You must know the top secret continuum xo then?
  • Well- I saw the prototype on the stand when he was designing them, if that's what you mean.

Jeff always said if I wanted to build a pair he'd clue me in, and that was before they were a kit.

Jeff will be contacting you...

Killa
  • Ahh, I see. I use to have the xo diagram but have lost it.
  • Also wanted to say I did think about contacting Jeff but had noticed he hasn't been on the forum lately so I assumed he was taking a break from diy. I know he has had some personal stuff going on and didn't want to bother him.
  • Jeff has stepped back a bit, but is always willing to help someone out. Shoot him an email.
  • I just found more drivers I had hidden from myself lol. Tang band W4 1337SDF. May have a new contender for a mid in 3 way duty.
  • I think I have decided on one project. I think I will use the W4 1337SDF and peerless 830668 in a FAST design. The plan is a fairly small tower with a sealed woofer. I know the tang band isn't optimal off axis but I don't think it will be too much of an issue.
     Also learned not to lean on the computer case while holding a speaker wire. :o
    kennykWolfPWRRYDNicholas_23
  • I think the second project might be a boombox using a couple (maybe four if needed?) and the tang band 6.5" sub. This would be powered by a 500w class d audio amp in mono (no need for stereo). Could maybe be called Slim FAST.
  • I'm leaning towards that same Peerless 830668 woofer in a sealed enclosure.  What volume and stuffing do you think you'll use?  I was thinking somewhere between 1.5 and 2 cubic feet with some rockwool, filled but not heavily stuffed.
  • I don't know yet but I want to try and keep it small. I remember Paul Carmody modeled it sealed when he was designing the Tarkus and it looked pretty good. I think he ended up with 2cu.ft ported so I imagine 1.5 sealed will be plenty. I was thinking smaller with EQ to boost the low end. Ill have to model it though.
  • edited October 2017
    I used the Peerless 830668 in my Lydias build in 1.5 cu. ft. Here's my sim and final measurement of the woofer in box. The Lydias were an MTM with the Peerless woofer as an integrated powered sub.

Ron

PWRRYDMzisserson
  • Thanks Ron. This gives me a good idea of what to expect when I lowpass it. I looks a lot like I how I remember my measurements.