Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

HiVi kit for cheap

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B072KTZ2VC/ref=ox_sc_act_image_1?smid=A1K072YSB0R9T5&psc=1

Not a huge fan of kits, but this is a steal. The two woofers alone are well worth the price of admission! I still have some bonus mad money, I'll grab a pair and see what the guys at HiVi did with the crossover. 
I have a signature.

Comments

• No shipping to MX, no surprise there... 
  • The numbers on the surrounds match.

From PE

From Amazon ad.

Ron
    jr@macNicholas_23cssaudio14thtry
  • Thanks Ron, wow, this is a smoking deal.
  • The Swan 3-way doesn't look too bad either. What looks like the L6, dome mid and ribbon for $174/pr.  =)
  • Good eye, Ron!  I would have never thought to do that!

Dan
  • Delivering the 12th. Hope to have a bunch of measurements by Sunday. 
    I have a signature.
  • Out of box T/S of woofer showed Qts of 1.33 after manual break-in.. Running stress test at 50Hz right now, see what happens. I should have known better - HiVi has never really been too good about these things.
    I have a signature.
  • Gross:

Loudspeaker parameters:

Fs  = 59.96 Hz
    Re  = 6.88 ohms[dc]
    Le  = 348.14 uH
    L2  = 715.36 uH
    R2  = 23.83 ohms
    Qt  = 1.26
    Qes = 1.51
    Qms = 7.70
    Mms = 19.85 grams
    Rms = 0.971890 kg/s
    Cms = 0.000355 m/N
    Vas = 6.81 liters
    Sd= 116.90 cm^2
    Bl  = 5.846426 Tm
    ETA = 0.09 %
    Lp(2.83V/1m) = 82.48 dB

Added Mass Method:
    Added mass = 25.00 grams
    Diameter= 12.20 cm

That was after 15 minutes at full Xmax at 50Hz. 
    I have a signature.
  • The moderators at PE deleted that thread about these kits - chickenshits. 
    Nicholas_23D1PP1NkennykTurn2greywardenS7910
    I have a signature.
  • Yikes! How are the enclosures?
  • Cabs are solid, full mitered construction, the vinyl is not pre-adhered. ~0.5 cubes with a complete shit toilet paper tube port. Nice terminal cup, 22awg coils, cheap poly caps. 
    I have a signature.
  • Dang , with a Q like that it's OB ready....prolly work alright in a car door, too!
  • Good idear porting it with a Q of 1.3!  So is the driver the D6.8 and the specs are way off or is it a different driver altogether?

Dan
  • Other than a model number difference (D6.8 IIB instead of D6.8B), I cannot find any visual difference of any kind. Given my hit or miss luck with a lot of HiVi drivers in the past, I lean towards a model designation specific to a kit rather than a different driver and there are just a bad batch of them. 
    I have a signature.
  • I just picked up a pair of assembled 3.1's locally.  They have the L6-4R woofer, DMN-B dome mid, and an RT1.3 tweeter.  I will bring them to Grinnell so we can listen to them in stock form.
    PWRRYDJasonPThumperTom
    Keep an open mind, but don't let your brain fall out.

Sehlin Sound Solutions
  • ScottS said:
    I just picked up a pair of assembled 3.1's locally.  They have the L6-4R woofer, DMN-B dome mid, and an RT1.3 tweeter.  I will bring them to Grinnell so we can listen to them in stock form.
    Awesome!! Turn2 is bringing the same kit with modified XO!!  Yay
    kennykPWRRYDJasonPThumperTom
    My signature goes here
  • Bryan@MAC said:
    ScottS said:
    I just picked up a pair of assembled 3.1's locally.  They have the L6-4R woofer, DMN-B dome mid, and an RT1.3 tweeter.  I will bring them to Grinnell so we can listen to them in stock form.
    Awesome!! Turn2 is bringing the same kit with modified XO!!  Yay
    I can't comment on the outcome of the planned XO tweaks just yet, but the appearance will certainly not be stock black vinyl.
    kennykJasonP
  • Doh!! I think I might know what went awry, and I don't even need to open the boxes to see.

See the 10uf shunt cap and .50mH shunt coil on the mid circuit? I'm sure I put them BEFORE the 6.8uF cap on both XO's. I'll see soon if that was the only issue.

Just goes to show, sometimes it doesn't pay to hurry. I should have punted on that and brought another project. :s

• Rich can you post in the Iowa thread about this just new members don't think that we are actually handing out booby prizes? Because that is definitely NOT how we roll. Thanks. 
    Nicholas_23
    My signature goes here