Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

The demise of the RS28

Comments

• Im going to work on a round wave guide for the CSS LD-22 and DX25BG if im lucky hopefully the dx25 will work with the xt25 as well. No certain time-table at this point as i dont know how much testing and fiddling is going to be involved with it. 
  • edited January 2018
    jr@mac said:
    Nah, I bet Stahl threw a fit and demanded special pricing. Same thing I am thinking is the reason no SB at PE. 
    Bingo - seen that happen in other manufacturer / distributor relationships.  Somebody gets "uppity" and makes things personal and things go "kabloomy".

Never mind - saw Javad's comment about Usher doubling the wholesale price.  Either scenario works.
    But Chahly - Stahkist don't want speakers that look good, Stahkist wants speakers that sound good!
  • edited January 2018
    RS28A-4 0-45 deg

RS28F-4 0-45 deg

These are the samples that we measured... If you ask me, they look quite a bit better than the original RS tweeter.
  • Those indeed look nice, Geoff - similarly low Fs and low distortion motors?
    I have a signature.
  • I would definitely like to see distortion measurements.

Jim
  • jr@mac said:
    Those indeed look nice, Geoff - similarly low Fs and low distortion motors?
    Still has a low Fs, and I think we are waiting for the production sample to come in for the actual distortion measurement.

• The damped high end on the Al is impressive, no artifacts in the off axis measurements.

Who do I need to call to get on the list?

John H, btw forum has decided I don't get emails
  • Ge_off_me said:
    jr@mac said:
    Those indeed look nice, Geoff - similarly low Fs and low distortion motors?
    Still has a low Fs, and I think we are waiting for the production sample to come in for the actual distortion measurement.
    Thank you for sharing! I'm looking forward to seeing distortion measurements. Please post them when you can.

Jim
  • If those sweeps are at 2.83V it looks like you get a good 3dB greater sensitivity over the original RS28.
    I'm not deaf, I'm just not listening.
  • jholtz said:
    What I find more interesting is that Tktran (posted in same thread) visited Usher's new retail store and reported Usher is alive and well. They apparently are not out of business as reported. Since the RS28 and Usher 9950 are reportedly interchangeable, it sounds to me like a supplier disagreement with PE and a new US distributor is needed for Usher products. CCS perhaps?

Anyone else have more info?

Jim
    I contacted Usher directly and was told that they are out of the driver build-house business.
  • dcibel said:
    If those sweeps are at 2.83V it looks like you get a good 3dB greater sensitivity over the original RS28. 
    That itself is what makes me think it doesn't have the copper in the motor.
    Ben
  • Wolf said:
    dcibel said:
    If those sweeps are at 2.83V it looks like you get a good 3dB greater sensitivity over the original RS28. 
    That itself is what makes me think it doesn't have the copper in the motor.
    Ben
    Pretty sure that isn't an issue...

jhollanderWolfPWRRYD4thtry
  • Okay- that sheds some light on the subject! Looking through many of the tweeters that have copper infused in the motor, the FR rarely exceeds 90dB nominal for those kinds of dome tweeters, so this was a hunch on my part. Copper sucks out so much Bl that the sensitivity goes much lower than without it. I'm happy with this surprise!

Anything else you care to share, Geoff?

• I'll take some pictures of the phase bridge tomorrow.
    D1PP1N
  • Huh, my little brother turned 40 on 9-23-2017

That is a lot of copper - does it extend all the way down the pole piece? 
    I have a signature.
  • Geoff, do you have an on-axis fr as well as an impedance graph for the new rs28a overlaid the old rs28a as a comparison by chance?
  • dynamo said:
    Geoff, do you have an on-axis fr as well as an impedance graph for the new rs28a overlaid the old rs28a as a comparison by chance?
    Unfortunately, I do not. I might be able to do that at some point, but I'm a bit busy for the next week or so.
  • Looking good not a bad replacement thats for sure. Even more so if they hit the $30 price tag Geoff mentioned. 
  • I was able to snag this today.

D1PP1Njhollander4thtry
  • Thanks for the overlay Gowa. I’m liking the A model
  • What a real phase plug? That means with no plastic sticker we can lose the grill.  I assume that's the AL dome tweeter. 

I have found a number of pre production samples at the tent sale.  Can we just skip the tent sale and you sell them to me? 
  • What a real phase plug? That means with no plastic sticker we can lose the grill.  I assume that's the AL dome tweeter. 

I have found a number of pre production samples at the tent sale.  Can we just skip the tent sale and you sell them to me? 
    We actually have the phase bridge on both models.

We always keep what we call "The Golden Sample", but we do put pre-production samples in the sale many times.
  • Looks like PE is kicking off the replacement products release. At least on PETT. If you get what you pay for...these are a nice chunk of change below the originals when they departed.
    https://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-rst28a-4-1-1-8-reference-series-aluminum-dome-tweeter-4-ohm--275-131
    https://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-rst28f-4-1-1-8-reference-series-fabric-dome-tweeter-4-ohm--275-141
    dcibel
  • Supposedly Jeff B. heard them and decided not to use them in the Continuum remake?  Any truth to that?  If the F model has real 93 dB sensitivity, it's worth trying.
  • I ordered a pair yesterday to go with the new fabric dome RS mid and a DSA 8" woofer. 

Jeff doesn't have the only ears on the planet, just sayin'
    JasonP
    I have a signature.
  • Figures, right after i order xover parts for my rs28a build. 
  • Supposedly Jeff B. heard them and decided not to use them in the Continuum remake?  Any truth to that?  If the F model has real 93 dB sensitivity, it's worth trying.
    Not true at all. He looked at the specs, response, etc and simply chose a Morel instead.
  • Grabbed a pair of the Fs myself. Yep, another WG lol
  • Chuck, thanks.  It's good to get the real story.  I guess we should be ready for the never ending debate between old and new. 

I'm not interested in remaking everything with the new tweeters, so I'll wait for some inspiration before buying.  It's that shelf queen thing.  I've got some Piezo tweeters that need some help for a couple of PA builds.