Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

The demise of the RS28

Comments

• Maybe PE is doing just ,that well ,where they do not need to peddle others goods? Maybe they are in the black with what goods they sell? I dunno 

•  Tough to say
  • If i have learned anything from JR's dissection of numerous PE drivers is that they cheap out where you can't see. Their unit to unit variability is quite good but i feel like the cheaping out of drivers causes them to make some odd deductions to drivers that would otherwise be fantastic for the pricepoint (even if it increased a bit).  
  • I've been told Usher is just getting out of the DIY driver sector. They don't need to sell us drivers to make money.

The skating of the dimple-patent was the last straw for SB, and the backfire from SB about this tactic is what Stahl was referring to in his rant awhile back.

Before that, with the association of Intertechnik, PE had thought that SB would be able to be brought in and stocked. I really don't know why that didn't happen, but I imagine it was due to SB's stance back then.

PE is seen as 'small potatoes' to a lot of the driver manufacturers, and MAD is the preferred retailer in the USA.

Yes- PE drivers tend to offer good performance and short-change elsewhere. The RS w/o copper, but the use of the phase plug as a 'shorting path' helps. I think the Ultimax drivers are not as robust as they are made out to be. The RSS subs are a well-made and engineered driver and actually do have 3 shorting paths, IMO, the best line they sell.

• I'll straight up say it right now , I miss the European speaker market . Im sure some of the materials were sourced from the east , but it gave me a "cool" satisfaction/factor where they were made. Ive seen a video how the SEAS drivers are made by hand and that in itself was worth the price.  
  • I'll take more of that please 
  • I think the time and effort involved is worth it.
    Im sure its hit or miss when it comes to quality and in reality it really comes down to numbers. $$$$It is what it is   
  •  Look at what Roman has provided in the way of his ribbon tweeter he is offering , I dont want to start a shit storm but , hot damn he could honestly charge much more than what he is offering at and still make some money . People get privy to such device and the demand will got up. Which reminds me , do you have a pair of tweeters for me Roman ? 
  • Wolf said:

I've been told Usher is just getting out of the DIY driver sector. They don't need to sell us drivers to make money.

Isn't that the same path Dynaudio took?
  • Besides, the state of modern dome tweeters leaves us a ton of nice options in the $60 and under range. I have one of those new Tymphany DX25 variants loaded in a cabinet, I expect great things from it, and it costs less, is better looking, and a slightly smaller faceplate to boot. 

I reiterate: there is zero reason to mourn the loss of the RS28.
    Face
    I have a signature.
  • DX25TG59-04 ?
  • It was a good run and it will be remembered. But now it's time to pass the baton to other more capable tweeters....
  • I believe that is the model. I don't memorize these things.
    I have a signature.
  • My bad, BG60 variant. 
    I have a signature.
  • edited January 2018

If it's a new variant, then it's not the DX25TG59. If you mean the new (@PE) Tymphany/Peerless aluminum dome, then that's the DA25. The DA25 has been out at MAD for about 2 years now, maybe more. PE just didn't pick it up until recently, and IIRC, it's cheaper at MAD. Of course, the new double-magnet version looks mighty tasty as well.

I agree that it should be a good unit, and I've heard it a few times now with pleasing results.

The RS28 was a good, scratch that- Fantastic(!)- tweeter. It was very low HD, few tweeters are more capable than it was in terms of extension, and the price was good to boot. There just aren't that many tweeters that fit its particular niche or price/performance. I don't think we're mourning its loss. I believe we are just wondering what the next tweeter will be that slides into its well-regarded/$ position in the tweeter hierarchy. FWIW, my money is NOT on its replacement at this point in time.

• Lots of tweeters under $50 for sure that i dont believe have been used yet. These super cheap 4" woofers seem like they could be used in many configs for a reasonable. https://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-tcp115-4-4-treated-paper-cone-midbass-woofer-4-ohm--295-415 
  • My concern with the Tymphany is the odd order distortion below 2K (despite the low FS).  I do like the Tymp tweeters, but want something in the 1.5K range. 

Right now I'm leaning toward the Seas. I hope to measure the Wavecors in a few weeks

John H, btw forum has decided I don't get emails
  • Even the base version of the DX25 exhibits very low distortion below 2K, John. I imagine with the better chamber and larger motor, the BG60 version will do even better. 
    I have a signature.
  • I had not seen that info on the DX25 (link?).  I know Chuck said the DA25 was only good to 1.8K. 

I really like the DX20, so hopefully that carries over to the DX25.
  • Zaph has some measurements posted, and I think there has been a lot of other data posted as well. Roman, I think, posted some at some point. 

I hope to stress the BG60 variant this weekend.
    I have a signature.
  • I guess my distortion remembrance was from the Zaph web site for the DX25, but he talks about second order.  I know Paul C like them.

So no need to link unless someones got the new DX25BG60 driver measurements.
  • I am ordering a pr of the dx25bg60 tonight and a couple of wavecores for testing. If I can get into the dungeon, I will test next week. Having my knee scoped tomorrow so we shall see.
  • edited January 2018
    On the topic of wavecor, I recently found this post of a breakdown of the TW030WA11. Not the cheapest tweeter out there, but it sure looks like you get your money's worth. Extended pole peice with lots of copper, lots of air space and lots of damping, and an above average size 30mm dome, what more could you ask for?

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi-way/314339-wavecor-tw030wa11-naked.html

jr@mac
    I'm not deaf, I'm just not listening.
  • I want try and cut a baffle with a waveguide built in. Looking for good candidates. The flangeless xt25 is interesting. Flat faceplates help if the cone is protruding. If anyone knows of any other inexpensive nice sounding tweeters that would be a good candidate im all ears. 
  • http://diy.midwestaudio.club/discussion/503/vifa-dx25bg60#latest

Pry the faceplate off that bad boy and see if you can wavertize it. I bet it would be swell.
    I have a signature.
  •  John H, btw forum has decided I don't get emails
  • jholtz said:
    What I find more interesting is that Tktran (posted in same thread) visited Usher's new retail store and reported Usher is alive and well. They apparently are not out of business as reported. Since the RS28 and Usher 9950 are reportedly interchangeable, it sounds to me like a supplier disagreement with PE and a new US distributor is needed for Usher products. CCS perhaps?

Anyone else have more info?

Jim
    I heard through the grapevine that Usher is doing so well that they wanted about double to continue producing the RS28 line, and PE didn't agree to it, thus finding a lower cost supplier to make the new ones.
  • JavadS said:
    jholtz said:
    What I find more interesting is that Tktran (posted in same thread) visited Usher's new retail store and reported Usher is alive and well. They apparently are not out of business as reported. Since the RS28 and Usher 9950 are reportedly interchangeable, it sounds to me like a supplier disagreement with PE and a new US distributor is needed for Usher products. CCS perhaps?

Anyone else have more info?

Jim
    I heard through the grapevine that Usher is doing so well that they wanted about double to continue producing the RS28 line, and PE didn't agree to it, thus finding a lower cost supplier to make the new ones.

Thanks for the info. I'm not surprised. The RS28 was a hell'va tweeter at that price point. At $100, the competition gets much tougher.

Thanks again!

Jim
    JavadS
  • FWIW, Curt is working with Meniscus to update the Finalists with a Morel tweeter that's comparable to the RS28. Curt is as always super busy so I'm not sure how soon that will be available. I doubt anyone here is on the edge of their seats waiting to build the Finalists but some may find the differences in crossover between the RS28 and Morel replacement of interest.

Jim
  • I know there are lots of great tweeters out there, but one reason I think to mourn the loss of the original rs28 is that there is a very nice purpose made waveguide readily available for it, on top of its already nice low crossover performance. Be interesting to see the secs on the replacement and how it performs in the seos.

i wish a lot of these nice new other low-fs tweeters like the dx, sb, etc. had flat face plates or a flat alternate face plate option for easier waveguide mounting. The flat face of the rs28 and h1212 is a nice thing for this purpose IMO.