Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

The demise of the RS28

Comments

• Wolf said:

I also know that Jeff tried the TDFC in one of the earlier projects emulating the LS3/5A, and ultimately did not use it in the final. Those were called the Dreydels.

The dreydels used one of the smaller RS metal drivers. I had a pair and didn't care for them much but I think it had more to do with the woofer.
     Have you ever had a chance to hear Zaph's BAMTM? It really does the seas tweet and the DA175 some justice. Still one of my favorites.
     What you call splashiness I call detail. This is one of those tweeters that when something goes "tink" it has an almost tactile sensation. Hopefully that makes sense.
  • Yes- I've heard them, and didn't really find them all that great. Critofur brought them to InDIYana in 2009. The Dreydel used the RS150S-8.

Splashy can be preferred at one time or another, like in the case of the Seas Mellenium or some ribbons. Splashy was Jeff's term for it, and it really suits it. If you hear a cymbal on an RS28A vs the TBFC there is a clear difference, and I prefer the RS28A. There isn't anything extra or artificial from them.

I'm not one to absolutely use ultra-low HD drivers exclusively, but there is a clear difference in listening. Sometimes it's ultra-benign, sterile, or bland without any audible HD. A little 2nd order 'life' can add to the enjoyment at times. In the midrange, it is really nice to have the HD to hit rock bottom, but I don't like all drivers that do that. It can throw tonal balance off. I don't care for the Vifa NE, Wavecor, or (most) SB midrange quality. Murky and dull they tend to be, IMO.

• Wolf said:

You're gonna have to spill, cuz I don't know of any.

Mike's Redemption I brought to Indy and Meniscus. Rs28f crossed at 1.5k. 
  • Wolf said:
     If you hear a cymbal on an RS28A vs the TBFC there is a clear difference, and I prefer the RS28A. There isn't anything extra or artificial from them.

IMO The rs28a is too laid back on cymbals which to me is an unrealistic reproduction. Cymbals are suppose to be splashy. I fully agree on your description of the difference in sound between them though.
     Also were you saying that ribbons have a similar splashy sound to the seas? I have yet to hear a ribbon tweeter.
  • I wish I could demo the synergy horn at Iowa.  The low HD of the XT in a horn is really different. You could call it sterile, or revealing.  I've categorized it as OBish clarity without the room issues.

With respect to the RS28A, the cymbals, bells and triangles the RS28 seems to be to have the right decay time.
     John H, btw forum has decided I don't get emails
  • John, when will you be unveiling the synergy?
    ............. could you hum a few bars.
  • Paint next weekend and pictures before the end of the month. Probably Fort Wayne unless Pete or Tom stop by.  If you have followed the build not much to unveil, box with holes...

kennyk
  • Wolf said:

You're gonna have to spill, cuz I don't know of any.

Mike's Redemption I brought to Indy and Meniscus. Rs28f crossed at 1.5k. 

Honestly, Chuck- they sounded fine in your implementation, but they still didn't amaze me. I definitely prefer the A. The A is just altogether more like I prefer, and never sounds muted. I agree with John on the decay.
  • Almost forgot- Killa-

They CAN sound that way, but tend to be a bit snappier due to the low Mms of the diaphragm. This means there isn't as much overhang from drive. Just call it a sweeter slightly 2nd order enhanced snappy thing.

• Too me the A seems sterile at times, almost analytical. The F is usually too bright at the top in most designs. It's one thing I took precaution with. 
  • Sure, it can get hot on top. Analytical is alright by me.
  • FYI if you're looking for some, I ordered 4 and they look good, pretty much like new: https://www.ebay.com/itm/1-Dayton-Audio-RS28A-4-Aluminum-Dome-Tweeter-With-Mounting-Bracket-/162718825305?

Nicholas_23
  • Very nice......but we must move on.
    ............. could you hum a few bars.
  • Well, I’m case anyone’s not quite ready yet, there are a few left =)
  • kennyk said:
    Very nice......but we must move on.
    +1 Sad but true.  When in doubt, it was a go to tweeter.  Now its takes a bit more thought and money.
    kennyk
  • I was excited about the new DX25BG60-04 until I noticed it has 0.1 mm Xmax.  That's 1/10 of the RS28A's Xmax.  It might sound great, but I don't see how it could be crossed as low as the RS28A.  
  • That's mechanically measured Xmax, but being underhung, it likely has a lot more mechanical potential.
  • That would be great.
  •    It's baaaaaack. 
  • Just an FYI from over at PETT. Not sure if PE has actually owned up to anything just yet. 

httptechtalkparts-expresscomfiledatafetchid1358097d1514673985typefull

• The "T" addendum has me a bit worried - I really hope they are not using the Esoteric motor and chamber with a dome. That chamber was too large. 
    I have a signature.
  • jr@mac said:
    The "T" addendum has me a bit worried - I really hope they are not using the Esoteric motor and chamber with a dome. That chamber was too large. 
    Yeah, the "new" name leads me to think that they admit that this is a new driver that "pays homage to" the old RS28, and is NOT a new version of the RS28.
  • What I find more interesting is that Tktran (posted in same thread) visited Usher's new retail store and reported Usher is alive and well. They apparently are not out of business as reported. Since the RS28 and Usher 9950 are reportedly interchangeable, it sounds to me like a supplier disagreement with PE and a new US distributor is needed for Usher products. CCS perhaps?

Anyone else have more info?

Jim
  • I agree with Jim, someone pissed in someones cheerios and told someone to bite it. Im guessing it comes down to making more money(usher) and or saving money and still able to make money(PE) . Depends on which side you are on. Cant fault the guys at USHER if thats the case.  
  • If old man Stahl threw a tantrum I could see Usher telling PE to get bent. Maybe someone from Usher linked to Usher in an email.
    I have a signature.
  • IF and IF thats the case , I would expect someone else to pick them up and be made available to the DIY market but with a bump in price. All speculation at this point. 
  • edited January 2018
    I think USHER got privy to the supply demand ( all the builds out there) and upped their price which PE wasnt willing to pay? 
    JavadS
  • and or , they got a better offer from another distributor in the US which goes back to the previous post I posted earlier ,making more monies . Im not sure , Its probably the Russians with their ribbon tweeters ... Roman 
  • Nah, I bet Stahl threw a fit and demanded special pricing. Same thing I am thinking is the reason no SB at PE. 
    I have a signature.
  • I could see that, PE will end up with average drivers while other distributors end up with other name brand drivers. This makes me wonder how saturated this market is for DIY speaker builders.