Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Iowa DIY 2017

Comments

• For all of you driving , be safe . Keep the rubber on the road and the shiney side up.
  • Will the show be online and available for a live feed? 

• Bryan@MAC said:
    @PWRRYD and @ScottS yes, please and Scott - Turn2 is bringing a XO-modified HiVi DIY 3.1 kit....so yes, please bring the stock version...please.  This could be a lot of fun!!!
    OMG, what a relief, they make noise! Had to do a complete XO teardown and rebuild since Monday even though this is not a MAJOR departure from stock. Fingered the panic button more than once. I hope we find at least a tiny improvement. Now to they them blare for a while and get they tidied up for showing.

Nicholas_23kennykJasonP4thtry
  • Will the show be online and available for a live feed? 

No streaming, but I will throw some stuff up on the facebook pages tomorrow and Saturday.

https://www.facebook.com/midwestaudioclub/

https://www.facebook.com/Iowadiy/
    PWRRYD
    My signature goes here
  • Well, I can't go more than 6L per and get them in my suitcase. Hmmmmmm..........I think I need a new one. :3
    Nicholas_23PWRRYD
    ............. could you hum a few bars.
  • Looks like Jason and I will be at the hotel closer to 4pm so feel free to set up in the breakfast room if you're there earlier. Thanks. 
    My signature goes here
  • Thanks for the warning LOL.  I'll be there at 3 and set some awesomeness, minus a source :(
  • Well, I guess I'm first to arrive. B)
  • I still don't have these speakers finished. They sound a little....congested here at home, but I'll bring them, clip leads and all, and hopefully finish the wiring tonight at the hotel. I hope to be there around 7ish.
  • kennyk said:
    Well, I guess I'm first to arrive. B) 
    Then you sir , get to crack the first beer!

kennyk
  • Here we go!!!
  • One of these days I will make it out there for an event. Have a fun weekend - looking forward to some pictures.
  • Just some random pics so far. I'll try to upload better stuff tomorrow.

ad 

squamishdrocS7910kennyk4thtryThumperTom
    My signature goes here
  • Ugh, finally pulled in from family matters in Omaha after 10:30 last night. Just got loaded up for the 1 hour jaunt to Grinnell. I'm less than ready, but more than ready, if you get my drift. I'm double lucky that I live so close and I'm not hung over. :) Off I go.
    kennyk
  • Bryan@MAC said:
    Just some random pics so far. I'll try to upload better stuff tomorrow.

From the pics it looks like an obsession with lady fiddlers.
    kennyk
  • Thanks MAC for another awesome event!  Huge kuddos to JP, BK, and JR!  Jason your digital front end sounded great.  Got to see a lot of old friends and met some new ones too and heard a lot of fantastic speakers.  

kennykgreywarden4thtryThumperTom

• Agreed. I really enjoyed it even though I earned the booby prize. We're never too old to learn a lesson, I guess.

cssaudio1JasonP
  • Turn2 said:

Agreed. I really enjoyed it even though I earned the booby prize. We're never too old to learn a lesson, I guess.

Man, what do you have to do to earn that?

Dan
    Nicholas_23PWRRYDJasonP
  • cssaudio1 said:
    Turn2 said:

Agreed. I really enjoyed it even though I earned the booby prize. We're never too old to learn a lesson, I guess.

Dan
    I managed to botch a kit build. Now I have to turn in my DIY card.
  • Turn2 said:
    cssaudio1 said:
    Turn2 said:

Dan
    I managed to botch a kit build. Now I have to turn in my DIY card.
    NO. That has yet to be determined. Way too many factors that could have compromised the mod. And just for the record there was no such booby prize but Rich gets an A+ for his photoshop skills. 
    kennyk
    My signature goes here
  • Thanks again to Brian, JR and Jason for another great event and thanks to the other Brian (K) for dinner Friday night. Thanks to the vendors for the hall rental and the great door prizes. I see another active system build in my future.

Thanks for the catch on the phase problem with my speakers. One of the terminal cups on the bottoms of the speaker stands was wired backwards. I picked up some mini screwdrivers Sunday morning and re-wired the banana plug before I took them back to my friend Paula. She was cool with the dents I put in them Friday night at the hotel.

It's kind of a waste of time taking pictures with my phone but I did take a couple.

Ron

ani_101jhollanderNicholas_23kennykBryan@MACgreywarden4thtryThumperTom
  • Made it home safe. It was a good time. 

For the record, this event was all BK and JP - I was too busy all summer to be of much help. 

My takeaway is I think we have hit the limit on drivers and the next frontier is looking at cabinet design and construction. 

I am also convinced that large waveguides are not the answer, or are an answer in need of a question, or are simply not part of the solution. I think smaller guides are worthy of more research, but larger guides simply fail to impress me - and I ain't the only one. 

Which brings to mind a conversation that was had last night - specifically on being told "you can't do that". In 2012 I brought a red MTM which used the XT25 and some MCM cast frame 5" woofers. I crossed at 1950hz, and not one person in the audience noticed I broke a rule. Not one. Not even when we fucking *cranked* them in the hotel room later. It has taken me a few years to understand the full impact of that event, and some of the comments on the LSS Channing demo'd kind of tied it together. Don't let yourself be told what to do no matter what names are dropped as an appeal to authority. 

I scored a gallon of Acoust-x as a door prize, plus a pair of those old Vifa/Infinity 7" buyouts and a pair of old Vifa alum tweeters. 

Guys, this hobby is badass. I have some great ideas for DDIY next year - if it pans out, you will regret missing it... :-;
    kennyk
    I have a signature.
  • PS I learned you should never try to play a track with drums that go that low in a hall that big with speakers that feature a 4" woofer. It worked just fine at home. I'll try to bring bigger woofers next time.

Ron
    jr@macjholtzgreywarden4thtry
  • I posted this on the PETT forum this morning, but it bears repeating here - 

Thanks everybody for a great gathering! It was nice to talk to so many familiar faces again and meet a few new people too. What a friendly, talented group of people. So many great sounding designs at all price-points and sizes. I'm continually amazed with the level of skill and craftsmanship. The standout for me were Jake Parsons Millenniums. Simply stunning...and quite humbling.

* Also, my back would like to add a special thanks to Bill & Maynard for the use of their carts! 
    kennykNicholas_234thtry
  • Great event as always. Great speakers and great company, as well as a great humbling opportunity to showcase your work and obtain feedback.

Nothing ventured, nothing gained, all but a stepping stone on the great speaker Journey. I had brought a second set of speakers, but forgot to get the minidsp and amp. Fortunately, won a pair of minidsp as door prize and very in scientifically level match two very different apms, a emotiva a100 and crown xls1500, and set up minidsp and the speakers. They sounded, well horrible, but Brian and JP to the rescue and with some fancy graph on the EQ it was at least listenable. So, yes great place get some great feedback and learn.

Regards
    Ani
    kennyk
  • And a great thanks to John H and thumpertom for the server boxes and Mike and Brian for the drivers.....
  • Turn2 said:

I think you have to share. ;)
  • This was my first time at this event or this style of event for that matter. I had a great time listening to awesome sounding speakers and meeting new people. I would like to thank MAC for putting on this event.
    kennyk

• Another great event and another great time.  Good to see familiar faces (glad to see Marty back with his charming SO) and meet some new ones (Shawn K, Tom_S and others).  I think Tom_S wins the "best crossover redesign under duress" award.  He completely redesigned his crossover on Friday night and played them for the first time on Saturday.  I thought he nailed it.

I agree with JR about cabinet design being the next big step.  I'm afraid my only hope in that area is either a CNC machine or 3-D printing.   I was particularly intrigued with B_Rich's 3-D Overnight Sensations as they offer a lot of unique possibilities.

kennyk