Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Iowa DIY 2017

Comments

• Is that a solid wood top or veneer edge or veneer, looks beautiful
  • Sorry, the question was for Ron_E
  • Thanks Ed and Ani. They will be passive. 

Everything is quarter sawn walnut veneer except the tops and bottoms which are veneer panels wrapped in hardwood trim.

Ron
  • mitered and then rounded over - very nice. Do you use a chopsaw for mitering the hardwood trim or is it achievable in some other way?
  • I add a cleat to my panel cutting jig on the table saw to cut the 45's. I made the panel slightly oversized and used a bearing bit to get the top to match the round overs on the box. I then put a slight 45 degree bevel on the top and bottom.

Ron

kennyk
  • An email update has been sent to EXHIBITORS regarding demo uploads. If you're showing a project, please read the email and get your demos uploaded sooner rather than later so Jason can preload everything into Jupiter Station.  Again, this update is only going out to exhibitors.  Thanks.
    kennyk
    My signature goes here
  • Four rooms left at the Best Western (where the informal sessions will be) for the discounted group rate. After Friday they are gone and so is the discount. So no guarantees on what happens after that and FYI - it got a little crazy in Grand Rapids last month. The hotel rate went from 109.99 to 179.99 in a week. 
    My signature goes here
  • I will be bringing a hacked together TM using an old NLA North tweeter and the Audible Physics 6" woofer. 

Ill also bring a bottle, and if weather cooperates - a pile of ribs. 
    I have a signature.
  • jr@mac said:
    I will be bringing a hacked together TM using an old NLA North tweeter and the Audible Physics 6" woofer. 

Ill also bring a bottle, and if weather cooperates - a pile of ribs. 
    I was always curious about the North tweeters. They looked well engineered for the price.
  • Preliminary impressions of the speaker are positive. The AP midwoofer is excellent, even in the (currently) sealed cabinet. The shiny alum dustcap makes it look like a cheapass boombox woofer, though lol
    I have a signature.
  • Room booked
  • jr@mac said:
    Preliminary impressions of the speaker are positive. The AP midwoofer is excellent, even in the (currently) sealed cabinet. The shiny alum dustcap makes it look like a cheapass boombox woofer, though lol

That adds a bit of bling bling! I purchased a ton of those woofers.... 

• Funny JR, i."happen" to have a pr of those North Creek tweets as well to match up to the AP. I'm using a mltl for the enclosure though. 
  • What f3 are you getting for the MLTL? I ma interested in your box design, as I do have a bunch of the AP 6.5" drivers.
  • Fb is 41 and f3 of 38.
  • Bryan@MAC said:
    An email update has been sent to EXHIBITORS regarding demo uploads. If you're showing a project, please read the email and get your demos uploaded sooner rather than later so Jason can preload everything into Jupiter Station.  Again, this update is only going out to exhibitors.  Thanks.
    How long should the demo be? 5 min. range?
    ............. could you hum a few bars.
  • edited October 2017
    kennyk said:
    Bryan@MAC said:
    An email update has been sent to EXHIBITORS regarding demo uploads. If you're showing a project, please read the email and get your demos uploaded sooner rather than later so Jason can preload everything into Jupiter Station.  Again, this update is only going out to exhibitors.  Thanks.
    How long should the demo be? 5 min. range?
    Yes mate - 5min is good.  As in past shows, the presentation time slots are 15min.  This includes setup, project intro, house track, your demo, and teardown. The front stage is 100% digital, so everything music-wise will be pre-loaded and ready to rock before you even set foot on the stage. 

Official details: http://www.midwestaudioclub.com/events/iowa2017/show-info 
    My signature goes here
  • How are we set up for amps and cables?  I can bring mine again if needed.
    Keep an open mind, but don't let your brain fall out.

Sehlin Sound Solutions
  • ScottS said:
    How are we set up for amps and cables?  I can bring mine again if needed.
    Lemme talk to JP and see what our situation is. We might need a good power amp. I'll be bringing a Crown XLS1500 but only for backup. You still have the Samson?
    My signature goes here
  • Should I go ahead and register even though it's a 50/50 whether I'll be able to attend or bring a set to show?
    deadhorse - leviathan - harbinger - shockwave (wip)
  • Better, we can have your picture there if you can be. 
  • Should I go ahead and register even though it's a 50/50 whether I'll be able to attend or bring a set to show?
    Don't register till you know for sure. If you can make it I will give you my presentation slot. 
    kennykgreywarden
    My signature goes here
  • Bryan@MAC said:
    ScottS said:
    Lemme talk to JP and see what our situation is. We might need a good power amp. I'll be bringing a Crown XLS1500 but only for backup. You still have the Samson?
    I still have the Samson.
    Keep an open mind, but don't let your brain fall out.

Sehlin Sound Solutions
  • ScottS said:
    Bryan@MAC said:
    ScottS said:
    I still have the Samson.
    Sounds powerful, just don't cut its hair :)
  • Keep the demo uploads coming  :)  @kennyk - I like your 5440kbps bit rate. Holy Hi Rez, Batman!!
    kennyk
    My signature goes here
  • Bryan@MAC said:
    Keep the demo uploads coming  :)  @kennyk - I like your 5440kbps bit rate. Holy Hi Rez, Batman!!

Ain't bigger better?
  • What is the demo upload cut-off date? I still need to rip a few CDs and arrange the demo, while trying to work on the speakers.... 
  • edited October 2017
    ani_101 said:
    What is the demo upload cut-off date? I still need to rip a few CDs and arrange the demo, while trying to work on the speakers.... 
    I think if you got the demo uploaded by the 17th that would be fine, but you know how Jason is - very short fuse, random outbursts at any time of day, etc.  I wouldn't wait till the last minute and make him angry...lol.
    Nicholas_23JasonP4thtryThumperTomgreywarden
    My signature goes here
  • If any of you are coming through Des Moines on the way to Grinnell you might want to check out Skylabs.  It's a vintage audio shop in Valley Junction that has a nice collection of old stuff on hand. They have a monster McIntosh speaker system which is how I found them when my nephew sent me a Facebook link. The owners name is Kevin and I've invited him to check out an evening session in Grinnell. Part of his business is updating old consoles with modern gear.

https://www.facebook.com/skylabsiowa/

Ron

kennykJasonPBryan@MAC4thtrygreywarden