Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Gonna take a short break from speaker building

Not out of this hobby by any means.  I've just been working on my Mustang lately and been bit by the bug again to get it back to the track and see how fast I can tune it to go with my current setup.  

Was going to spray the snot out of it.... then found out Airgas had a big explosion (one guy died) at one of their only 3 plants that produce nitrous oxide.  There is a huge nation wide shortage of Nitrous +, so price per pound is stupid now.

Still I can do some carb and timing tuning N/A, do some more intake manifold porting, and even change cams and rear gears...

I'll be around here, just no new speaker or amp projects to share.
kennyk

Comments

• Keep us posted - more than one gear head here. 
    I have a signature.
  • I stop working in the shop when the mountain biking season starts  =) Keep us updated on the build progress. What time bracket does it run in?
  • Best 1/4 mile pass is 8.826 @ 164.8 mph.
    MzissersonFacegreywarden4thtrysquamishdroc
  • Hell yes son, that's hualin the mail! Yup, keep in on the loop, I hope we get our jalopy out and play with it this year
  • Yeah, I won a few pro street car races (on the track).  I'm taking it to the track on Aug 5th to see what she'll run with no blower or spray.  If that's no fun then the blower is going back on.  But this time it'll be with a blow through carb and MSD boost retard and running E85 instead of full stand alone EFI and leaded race gas.  That was getting way too expensive and I had maxed out my 96 lb/hr injectors, so I would have had to buy 160 injectors to run the corn fuel.
    Face
  • Curious where your compression is at on that thing?
  • Last engine, that ran 8.80's, was a 331 cid stroker with dished pistons and a static CR of 8.5:1.  I was running 24 psi of boost with my Paxton Novi2000 Renegade race blower setup.  I have a huge fuel system, capable of supporting 1500+ HP.  I ran VP Racing C16 leaded gas.

My new engine, yet to go down the track, is a 347 cid stroker with a much stronger steel crank, steel H-beam rods, and custom made Diamond pistons.  The ring package is designed for big boost or spray (top ring down more).  I file fit my ring gaps to support ~1500 Hp.  I have tool steel rings (no moly or chrome).  The new static CR is 10:1.

I ported my AFR 205 heads myself and paid special attention to the combustion chambers around the valve seats.  My cam is custom ground from Comp Cams.  The rest is pretty plain jane stuff everyone runs.

If I put the blower back on (who am I kidding???  of course I will) I will pulley the boost down quite a bit and see how she pulls.  A few more cubes, a fresh and tight new engine, and some E85 might just run about the same....
  • You had mentioned running with out then maybe with , I was curious how you were going to deal with the compression. What does the 347 use for a block? Or what was the block originally
  • I split two factory 5.0 blocks trying to go fast.  So I bought a Ford Racing R302 block which is siamese bore, 4 bolt mains, and proved good to 1800-2000 Hp, similar to a Dart block.  I ran this block with the 331 (0.030" over bore).  This 347 is 0.040" over (so technically a 349 cid).  Static compression ratio is just one piece of the puzzle.  The cam timing and boost also determine absolute cylinder pressure and thus octane requirement, total timing, and fuel lamda.
  • Have any cylinder walls left?
  • The R302 block can be bored up to 4.125" ;)
  • Awesome stuff Craig! I use to tinker, but helped my brother re-bud and drop a 302 in a Jeep CJ7. Awesome expirence. 

I wanted to have a project (muscle) car, but I promised myself only one expensive hobby, which tured out to be audio.

I hit the on/off ramps in my Subaru WRX, its zoomy enough for my aging ass, but not to zoomy to get me in trouble.I hate the way every 90's Audi 1.8T with a mouth-breathing kid in a flat-brimmed cap wants to "race". I have told them.on more than one occassion to save it for the track.
  • PWRRYD said:
    The R302 block can be bored up to 4.125" ;)
    Do you contract CNC shop to do that? I've never seen how it's done.
  • Yes.  The shop I use for my block maching uses a CNC machine.  To clarify, my block is only 40 thou over right now (4.040"), but it can keep getting over-bored all the way to 4.125".
  • Man, just got home from attending an Autocross event.  If I didnt already have my car set up for straight line drag racing....  Wow that whole left right left right thing sure looks like a blast.  And Mike Z, the Subs and Evo's seem to rule at this racing.  Great people, great cars, great afternoon.
    D1PP1N
  • PWRRYD said:
    Man, just got home from attending an Autocross event.  If I didnt already have my car set up for straight line drag racing....  Wow that whole left right left right thing sure looks like a blast.  And Mike Z, the Subs and Evo's seem to rule at this racing.  Great people, great cars, great afternoon.

That's great! Auto cross is a lot if fun, and like you said, a great bunch of people. I have attended a coupke of events, but never raced. Its pretty amazing what they do with tiny cars, technucal smarts, and the ability to drive. There i a dude around here with a hopped up Mini cooper S that consistantly wins. Its like watching a slot-car! 
  • I've always enjoyed driving my Mazda 6 (4cyl/auto), it's really connected to the road, but almost rides like a luxury car, really great balance, wish I'd have gotten a MS6 instead. Got an Impreza TS recently for $2500 that gets 30+ mpg with 265k miles on it. Really fun to drive like a go-cart on roids haha. A bit more connected to the road than the 6 is, but also loud and not a super comfy ride, either.

I really don't have any plans for either car atm, but they both need some work and we'll see what's in store for either when I finally get a decent job and have the time/money to put into them.
    deadhorse - leviathan - harbinger - shockwave (wip)
  • PWRRYD said:
    Man, just got home from attending an Autocross event.  If I didnt already have my car set up for straight line drag racing....  Wow that whole left right left right thing sure looks like a blast.  And Mike Z, the Subs and Evo's seem to rule at this racing.  Great people, great cars, great afternoon.
    I auto x'd my Mini for a few years. It's a great way to get into racing without spending a boat load of money. It's fun seeing where you can shave a second or two off your time over the course of a day. The Miata's are pretty darn quick too. 
    Mzisserson
  • Autocross is definitely some fun times!
  • Always thought an old E series would be fun for something like this .

greywarden
  • Even though I'm taking a speaker building "break" and working on the car, I still can't stop "thinking and planning" speaker projects.  We just got home from our family vacation and I drove a total of 1786 miles.  Lots of windshield time to think about what drivers I have on my shelf and different potential projects!
  • Thinking about my future next build...  I really want to use the pair of Vifa NE225W-04 woofers I won in Dakota 2 years ago.  Definitely want to build a solid 3 way, hopefully with drivers I already have.  Those woofers look like they will play very cleanly to 800-1000 Hz and provide really nice low end extention.  I have a pair of XT25TG tweeters too.  So that leaves the mids????  I have a pair of NLA Tang Band W4-1320SIF bamboo cone 4".  I heard thise in CJD's speakers and they were very nice.  I also have a pair of RS52 2" domes.  I know I know... they don't receive a lot of love but wonder if that's because people try to push them too low or too high or both.  I love the wide dispersion of my Morel CAM558s so I'm kinda leaning towards the domes.

Any thoughts guys?
  • Steve F's dome mid (along with fantastic paint) at MWAF, imo won him second place
     John H, btw forum has decided I don't get emails
  • Which dome mid did Steve use?
  • I can't remember.  I think it was the NLA Tang Band 3 inch
    JavadS
     John H, btw forum has decided I don't get emails
  • PWRRYD said:
    Best 1/4 mile pass is 8.826 @ 164.8 mph.
    NLA Tang Band Mid
  • At this point I am going to use the "Wolf says they suck" RS52AN.  Looking at Zaph's measurements they have super low distortion and are ruler flat where I want to use them.
    kennykTurn2Nicholas_23
  • PWRRYD said:
    At this point I am going to use the "Wolf says they suck" RS52AN.  Looking at Zaph's measurements they have super low distortion and are ruler flat where I want to use them.
    I like the way you think. My primary speakers in my downstairs theater lair are 3-ways with HiVi F8's, RS52's and RS28a's. I have never felt a need to swap them out.
  • Where are you crossing the 52s?