Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Crystalac

Has anyone ever used Crystalac wood grain filler?  I was talking to a couple of finishing experts at Dakota and they recommended this brand of filler to achieve a nice, smooth finish on my Dual Exhaust speakers. 

http://www.crystalac.info/clear-wood-grain-filler.html

I bought a quart and built a test box to try it out.  Will post my results as I go along.  I watched the youtube video linked above, so now I am fully qualified to proceed.  Any tips or recommendations before I start?

Comments

• 4thtry said:

Has anyone ever used Crystalac wood grain filler?  I was talking to a couple of finishing experts at Dakota and they recommended this brand of filler to achieve a nice, smooth finish on my Dual Exhaust speakers. 

http://www.crystalac.info/clear-wood-grain-filler.html

I bought a quart and built a test box to try it out.  Will post my results as I go along.  I watched the youtube video linked above, so now I am fully qualified to proceed.  Any tips or recommendations before I start?

Hi Bill,

Wear disposable gloves. I have used it for several years. Here's my process. I stain and then seal with waterborne or Zinsser Seal Coat shellac. Then liberally apply the grain filler with a cloth rubbing it in to the grain. Move quickly because it does dry rapidly. I then you plastic bondo applicators to squeegee the excess off. Let dry and lightly sand. Repeat the procedure until the surface is smooth.

This is not hole filler, just grain filler. Depending on your top coat selection, apply another coat of shellac. Target Coatings has a waterborne shellac that eliminates the crazing issue with seal coat but still provides the grain pop and barrier coating. 

Let it dry over night and apply your top coat.

HTH

Jim
  • Thanks for the info, Jim.  My current plan is to sand down to a smooth 220 finish, apply my stain to the raw wood, and then go directly to the Crystalac step without sealing with shellac.  After I get done with multiple Crystalac coats and sanding operations, I plan to apply several top coats of oil based polyurethane. 

Does it sound like I am going in the wrong direction?   I have no experience with the use of Shellac. 

• 4thtry said:

Thanks for the info, Jim.  My current plan is to sand down to a smooth 220 finish, apply my stain to the raw wood, and then go directly to the Crystalac step without sealing with shellac.  After I get done with multiple Crystalac coats and sanding operations, I plan to apply several top coats of oil based polyurethane. 

Does it sound like I am going in the wrong direction?   I have no experience with the use of Shellac. 

Hi Bill,

FWIW, the only real reason for shellac is to pop the grain and give the finish an amber look plus its a great barrier coat that anything will stick to and not penetrate. Apply two light coats of Crystalac, lightly sand with 400 - 600 to knock off the nubs then apply two more regular coats. If the finish is milky in appearance when wet, its on too heavy. Lighten up just a bit. Depending on how it looks, I may or may not sand again or apply another coat. If its super smooth at four coats, I usually stop. Remember to wait 10-15 minutes for the finish to flow before making a decision. It looks like hell at first.

Just a thought, the Crystalac is at least as durable as the poly and I wouldn't recommend an oil finish over waterborne until the Crystalac has cured which is a minimum of three full days. I'm not sure what you'll gain with the poly.

My $0.02 worth...

Jim
  • I use crystalac grain filler.  Depending on what I'm finishing after stain, dye or oil I'll do 2 coats of sealcoat before the CL grain filler.  It's easier to spread the grain filler when it's the surface is sealed and it prevents the CL grain filler from raising the grain.

I always do 2 coats of grain filler, sometimes 3.  I usually burn though the sealer in a few spot so I spot stain if needed.

I prefer Sealcoat over Shellac as it has a longer shelf life.  I just got burned by some soft/ not drying Shellac last week.  It must have been on the store shelf for a while.

If you are using an oil based sealer stain (aka Minwax)you could skip the sealcoat step.

Not that you asked but imho, unless you are planing on rubbing out the poly a "clear" grain filler is a lot of work for little benefit.
     John H, btw forum has decided I don't get emails
  • FWIW, when I refer to shellac, I'm talking about Zinsser Seal Coat which is the only dewaxed shellac in a can that I'm aware of. The other Zinsser shellac versions are of the waxed variety and will only work with oil based top coats.

I'm glad you brought that up John. Wax and waterborne do not mix!

Jim
  • You finish guys make my head spin!  lol not kidding, just jealous.
  • Craig, we're insane, I'm on my 4th repaint and Jim did 3. I can be knowledgeable and still make bad decisions...

I forgot what the speakers sounded like and had to fire them up to determine if the extra work was worth it  :)
  • Ok, thanks for all the great tips!  Let me ask a few questions to see if I am understanding your recommendations.  I stained one side of my test box with Varathane "summer oak" stain from Mendards.   Then, I masked off the other side into 2 sections and stained one section with Varathane "golden oak" stain from Mendards.  The final section will remain with no stain, as I want to see how the grain comes out with no stain at all.

I think these Varathane stains are oil based types, because, when drying, they smell like mineral spirits gassing off.  Even after 24 hrs, I can still smell the stain up close, but the mineral spirits smell is now gone.

John, when you use 2 coats of Sealcoat before the Crystalac, is this the brand that you are using? I think I need to head back to Mendards to pick up a can.  So, I want to use this prior to CL because it will seal the wood without raising the grain? 

http://www.rustoleum.com/en/product-catalog/consumer-brands/zinsser/interior-wood-finishes/sealcoat-universal-sanding-sealer 

Sorry for all the questions.  As you can see, I have very little experience in this area.

• The Varathane is oil based sealer stain, so you can skip the Sealcoat step if you like.  I usually use Sealcoat as it gives me a bit more protection from sanding through, but I've done it both ways.

Your link shows the correct product.

For the oil based poly I like to use a 3 x 4 Sureline paint pad and apply light coats, almost rubbing it in.  With the Sureline paint pads be sure to wash and dry them before using.  They can shed little fibers.

After the poly drys I lightly block sand (knock of the nubs) with 400 and recoat.  A 3M fine hand sanding pad also works well

4thtry
  • Thanks John.  I found a rattle can of Zinsser Shellac Sealer at Menards, which is pretty much the same as the stuff in the quart can above.   Will use it to seal the entire test box before applying the 1st coat of Crystalac.  The instructions on the can say it can be used as a sealer for stain of any kind. 

I picked up a couple of the 3M fine hand sanding pads that you mention above, so as soon as the stain is completely dry (72 hrs+), I'll give the test box a very light coat of sealer, let it dry, and then very lightly buff off the nibs with the 3M pad.    Will try to be very careful not to sand through to the stain.  

• Will have to try out the Sureline paint pads you mention.  In the past, I have applied oil based poly using the cheap foam pads.  But I had trouble because the soft foam starts to disintegrate after a while and leaves chunks of foam in the finish.  For oil based enamel painting (Linehoppers) and oil based polyurithane, I am using my father's old Bink's Model 7 spray gun at about 60psi.  Makes a big cloud of overspray in my garage, both doors wide open with a good cross breeze going.  Problem is that I can only do this for about 2-4 months out of the year, otherwise it is too hot or cold in my garage.
  • The newer HVLP guns work great at pressure around 20 PSI or less at the gun.  For 15 bucks you can try a Harbor freight HVLP, just disassemble and clean it before using.  As a general rule I don't spray anything oil based due to the overspray.

I've sprayed water based poly with my HF gun, but that gave more of a orange peal finish with what I was using.

Jim's sprayed the Crystalac water based poly(?) and could give you more pointers than me.

IMO solvent based Lacquer if probably the easiest to spray.  I like Behlen Qualalacq lacquer or Lenmar from Benjamin Moore.  I usually thin with lacquer thinner from HD or Lowes and use a lacquer retarder additive for hot days.  

The 2 part Lacquers with a hardener are on my list to try. Sumitt's 2k and General Finishes pre-cat Lacquer (water based) look promising.

PS: Don't spray the Deft brushing lacquer as it has additives for brushing that keep the lacquer soft.
    4thtry
  • John, i believe the needles on the harbor freight guns are too large for water based stuff. I think you need like a 1.5mm tip or something. I think most of their guns are 2mm-3mm. I used one for stain a d one for shellac but the shellac kinda dripped a bit (i used the flakes). 
    4thtry
  • The $15 guns use a 1.4 mm tip which is OK for most solvent and water based clears.  Not OK for water base paints
  • Any idea what is a hot solvent? I have a spray gun which cannot use hot solvent lacquer. Is there any other type of lacquer? This is also new to me the gun and spraying itself.
  • No idea what a hot solvent is.  Maybe they are talking about a 2-part finish with hardener.  What's the gun?
  • I'll throw my $0,02 into the discussion. You can shoot waterborne with the same guns as solvent as long as you have a gun with stainless steel fluid passageways and either a teflon lined metal cup or a plastic cup. I shoot with a Warwick HVLP 904HE spraygun which is an iWata W400 clone. There are others that are $60 -$70 but the Warwick shoots like a highend pro gun and doesn't cost that much more for a spraygun that will last forever if you take care of it. It also has inexpensive repair kits if needed. That makes me the weakest link when it comes to spraying. :)

Having a compressor that will deliver enough CFM at 40 PSI and gun setup are probably the most import things to consider when investing in equipment. The 904 HE sprays really well at 18-25 PSI at the gun regulator which means very low overspray.

Cap/nozzle sizes from 1.3 - 1.5 will work fine for waterborne or solvent. I prefer 1.4 which does everything really well. Also, understanding when and how much to thin the paint/clear is important.

Waterborne has super low VOC so there's virtually no smell. I created a temp spray booth in my basement workshop that is made out of PCV pipe, shower curtains and cheap tarps to block over spray. I get a $2 plastic drop cloth for the floor and I'm good to go. It takes me about 1-2 hours to setup, less to tear it down.

The 3 waterborne finishes that are very popular with wood workers are Target Coatings, General Finishes and Crystalac. There are many other but these are the 3 that I find to fit my needs the best. Crystalac is my favorite. Its ready to spray right out of the jug, drys very quickly and can be recoated in about 45 minutes. It levels really well and fully cures in 72 hours if you want to polish it. It also doesn't require sanding between coats except to knock down nubs or a run if it happens. It also works better with light coats than heavier coats so its easier for amateurs like me.

BTW, Crystalac is an acrylic urethane rather than a poly as I understand it. It drys super hard and is very durable. they also have a product called Polyoxe which is designed for floors and bar tops that I've also used and like. They are not interchangeable during the spray process.

HTH

Jim
    jhollander4thtry
  • As I understand it (which is very little) Lacquer thinner is a hot solvent and is corrosive to spray equipment. I suppose that's why it needs special equipment.

I have very small handheld airless sprayer that can do thick paints and fine finish but not recommended for Hot Solvent. So wasn't very sure what all are hot solvent.

But if Crystalac is waterborne, it should be fine.
    4thtry
  • Thanks for all the great info.  I'll check the tip size on my spray nozzle and report back.  I know the Bink's 7 is old school, pre-HVLP, and probably needs to be replaced.  We have a HF nearby, so will scope out the one you suggest.  My air compressor is a 5HP 20 gallon oil filled type with dual gauges to adjust pressure up and down.  When I sprayed the Linehoppers at 60psi, the compressor was doing all it could to keep up.  I had to slow down a couple times to let the compressor catch up!  I think the nozzle is adjusted for oil based paints, because when I tried to paint my garage door with it using a waterborne latex white house paint, it clogged the nozzle up badly.  Had to tear it apart to clean a big glob of white paint out of the nozzle. 
  • ani_101 said:
    Any idea what is a hot solvent? I have a spray gun which cannot use hot solvent lacquer. Is there any other type of lacquer? This is also new to me the gun and spraying itself.

I don't know what a hot solvent is either.  I know that Lacquer is highly flammable and you have to be extremely careful with that stuff.   That is why I don't use it.  And it stinks badly too.  I personally prefer oil based paints that can be thinned with mineral spirits.   Or better yet, go all waterborne.   But I have never been able to get waterborne to work properly.  But this is probably more a matter of my inexperience than anything else.  
  • Test project update:

I set my stained test box outside and gave it two light coats of rattle can shellac.  As I sprayed, the grain raised slightly on the non-stained section, but remained completely flat on the stained portions.  After roughly 6 hours of drying, the stained portions were still very smooth with just a few very small nibs here and there. The unstained portion was noticeably rougher, with slightly raised grain, especially on the hardwood corner molding.

• jholtz said:
    4thtry said:

Thanks for the info, Jim.  My current plan is to sand down to a smooth 220 finish, apply my stain to the raw wood, and then go directly to the Crystalac step without sealing with shellac.  After I get done with multiple Crystalac coats and sanding operations, I plan to apply several top coats of oil based polyurethane. 

Hi Bill,

FWIW, the only real reason for shellac is to pop the grain and give the finish an amber look plus its a great barrier coat that anything will stick to and not penetrate. Apply two light coats of Crystalac, lightly sand with 400 - 600 to knock off the nubs then apply two more regular coats. If the finish is milky in appearance when wet, its on too heavy. Lighten up just a bit. Depending on how it looks, I may or may not sand again or apply another coat. If its super smooth at four coats, I usually stop. Remember to wait 10-15 minutes for the finish to flow before making a decision. It looks like hell at first.

Just a thought, the Crystalac is at least as durable as the poly and I wouldn't recommend an oil finish over waterborne until the Crystalac has cured which is a minimum of three full days. I'm not sure what you'll gain with the poly.

My $0.02 worth...

Jim

I think the only reason I like oil finish is my lack of experience with a waterborne system that actually works.  You have convinced me that I need to replace my sprayer and try waterborne again.
  • If you go water based using all General Finishes may be the easiest.

Note that water based paints require a different spray gun than water based clears.

John

• What causes the water based paints to clog?  I have not tried a water based clear in my sprayer so I don't know if that will work.
  • After the sealer dried 24 hrs, I lightly sanded the nibs off with a 3M finishing pad and tacked it off. 

Then:

kennyk
  • edited July 2017

If you go water based using all General Finishes may be the easiest.

Note that water based paints require a different spray gun than water based clears.

John

Hi John,

I'll have to disagree with you on this comment. If you're shooting waterborne or solvent, clear or base coat (paint) they all can be shot with one gun as long as you clean it thoroughly when you switch materials. The key is to get the paint thinned to the correct viscosity. Check out Ford #4 cups at Amazon and thin the material to correspond to your guns requirements. My Warwick with a 1.4 nozzle set shoots material best with around 20 seconds through the Ford #4 cup but 25 seconds will work fine with minor adjustments of the gun. Anything above that and it should be thinned.

I've not used General Finishes because it requires sanding between all coats and I'm lazy. :o Users say it sprays very nicely and dry time isn't bad. Crystalac drys to the touch in 10-15 minutes and can be recoated in 30-45 minutes. It can be but doesn't have to be sanded in an hour or less. That fits my lazy schedule.

Any gun that you shoot waterborne material from any manufacture should have stainless steel fluid passages or will corrode internally eventually. Other than that, waterborne can be shot from any gun with the correct tip size. HVLP or LVLP gravity feed are your best choices.

Bill: Latex is a whole different conversation! Rarely is it shot with an automotive style paint gun.

Jim
  • BTW, I apologize if I'm coming across as a know it all. It's pretty obvious that I don't or I wouldn't have had to do 3 complete repaints on the Bordeaux's. :/ I have been shooting Crystalac since 2007 along with Target Coatings so I do have experience with them. I've also went through a couple HVLP guns before buying the Warwick.

So, if I sound "know it all" I'm really not. I'm just trying to share some of the knowledge that I've gained through experience over the last decade shooting waterbourne.

Jim
  • on a tangent anybody used two part automobile primer and paint? Or is this a different beast altogether?
  • Hey! You guys do know that Crystalac can be brushed on too. ;)

Jim
  • On the subject of guns, there are some paints that limit the about of thinning that can be done, when that happens you need to move to a larger tip. 

My two main guns are 1.4 and 1.8 mm tips (1.8 is broken new one on order).  I've also got a 2.0 gun that I've sprayed some thick house paints (and the Benjamin Moore (BM) Advance last week).  The Titan OBs had purple Pittsburg latex paint on them ($9 per gallon). The BM Advance and Pittsburg was more like 100 seconds in a #4 cup.

I've shot a bunch of two part auto paint many years ago.  You can use it on speakers, etc. The only down side is that it's more expensive than the two part furniture paint and it has limited colors and sheen.  Brown semi-gloss auto paint is like non-existent.

The two part paint and hardeners have real health hazards so it's best to use a organic vapor respirator and an appropriate area.  The 2 part paints are called 2K or conversion varnishes.

Somewhat safer are the pre-catalyzed paints where smaller amounts of hardeners are premixed in the paint you buy.  Some water based paint come pre-catalyzed.

There are good books out there,  I like Flexner and Dresdner