Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

2 ohm drivers

I am looking for a 2 ohm 6" speaker for my Jeep. It has the Infinity stereo and apparently the drivers are all 2 ohm. I don't want to replace the whole system just the door speakers (they are pooched). I have about 2.75" of mounting depth. Any ideas??

Comments

• A lot of JBL/Infinity component sets are nominal 3 ohm. 
    squamishdroc
    I have a signature.
  • I had an old Plymouth Grand Voyager that had an factory Infinity sound system. I pulled all the speakers before I junked the van when it decided to give up the ghost. I have no idea if they'd be the right speakers, but if so, you're welcome to them.
  • I had an old Plymouth Grand Voyager that had an factory Infinity sound system. I pulled all the speakers before I junked the van when it decided to give up the ghost. I have no idea if they'd be the right speakers, but if so, you're welcome to them.
    Thanks for the offer Mike. Do they look like this? I don't need the amp part - just the speaker.

• Not really, but I'll dig them out tomorrow and send you a pic.You may have to do a little surgery, but if the driver is what you need, maybe you can make them work.
  • Its this stuff that makes me happy . Pay it forward 
  • edited June 2017
    The JBL/Infinity won't be the 2 ohm, but odds are the difference in output will be minor - and the performance will be much increased over the factory stuff. 

Someday I plan on installing these in my Kia (which also uses 2 ohm nominal drivers):

https://www.amazon.com/JBL-GX600C-2-Way-Component-Loudspeakers/dp/B00U0FRU5S

I will probably upgrade the crossover (it uses pretty shitty parts to be honest). I measured the T/S on the woofers and they are a typical high Q car audio design:

There seems to be plenty of mechanical throw for a shallow design, and surprisingly some under spider venting. About 4-5mm of coil visible above the spider - that is usually a pretty good indicator of Xmax on a non-underhung driver.

Vented back plate, as well. All in all - pretty similar build and feature quality to the Peerless SDS stuff with a lower impedance. Plus, you can buy the entire set at Amazon for $78/pr. which places it squarely in high value territory considering you get a pair of tweeters and (an admittedly shitty) crossover. The SD is somewhat higher than a typical 6.5" due to the usage of Harman's so-called "+1" cone geometry. You could do a lot worse. 

FYI: the posted T/S were taken before break-in, I believe Q fell to under 0.8 after I exercised things for a bit. 

MikeJennens
    I have a signature.
  • edited June 2017
      Here's what I have.Mike
  • edited June 2017
    Here's what I have.
    Mike
  • Here's what I have.
    Mike
    Thanks for pulling those out Mike! Looks like they are going to be a bit small for the Jeep. I might look into JR's link above. Thanks anyways - I appreciate it :)
  • It's been a while since I've done those infinity amp/speaker deals, but I think you can actually do away with the amps and just install regular 4 ohm speakers in their place. Again if memory serves me right, the signal from the radio isn't a line level signal, but actually a high level/ powered signal. 
  • 6thplanet said:
    It's been a while since I've done those infinity amp/speaker deals, but I think you can actually do away with the amps and just install regular 4 ohm speakers in their place. Again if memory serves me right, the signal from the radio isn't a line level signal, but actually a high level/ powered signal. 
    I still have to check a wiring diagram at work, but from what I have read it sounds like the amp powers all the drivers. Makes a bit more work to get set up properly if I want to be able to use the fader. Maybe a task for after the long weekend :p
  • I thought you had the setup with the amp at each speaker. A 4 ohm driver would still work, just wouldn't be ear shattering loud  :p