Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Who's Online (8)

Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

New Garage Speaker Project

Way, way, way back I built a pair of Lou C (rest his soul) Lecbos "El Cheapos" that used the $10 buyout Peerless 835004 woofers and some OEM buyout Peerless tweeters.  They did service in my garage for about three years.  They sounded great and were stupid loud with only a 10 wpc boom box as the source!  Alas I sold them to a co-worker because he needed a good pair of garage speakers and I found myself spending less and less time working on car projects in the garage.  I've regretted selling them because they really did sound that good.

Fast forward to last year at InDIYana 2016.  There was a guy at the back of the room selling crap tons of buyout drivers.  So I bought another four of the Peerless 835004 woofers for $20.  Wish I would have bought more.

New project:  pair of MTMs using those four Peerless 835004 and Dayton ND25FW 1" soft dome with waveguide.  I should have the enclosures should done by tomorrow (sans finish).  If it rains tomorrow I should get drivers mounted and take measurements to start working up the new xo.
JasonPgreywardenkennykMzissersonNicholas_234thtry

Comments

• Damn I still have two of them in a box somewhere, wish I'd have bought 4, they're not super useful in a TM, definitely need a mid or a tweeter that can go LOW
    deadhorse - leviathan - harbinger - shockwave (wip)
  • I don't understand grey?  IMHO they play nice up to 3k, smooth with very little breakup.  What they don't do is play low.  My predicted F3 is only 68 Hz.  A subwoofer is needed for any serious listening.
  • My bad, poorly worded. The tweeter I had to use with them, in my "Deadhorse" project was not a good match to them. That design definitely needed a midrange, I have some of the celestion 5" buyouts that I eventually plan on using. 

Yeah they don't go low, but damn it do they sound nice, I really enjoyed them fully active, with the exception that I didn't have the phase fixed and I EQ'd them dead flat, which doesn't sound good to me. One day I'll cobble that all together with a passive xover and they'll sound really nice.
    deadhorse - leviathan - harbinger - shockwave (wip)
  • Should have these together this weekend and drivers measured.  Starting to cut wood for the matching garage subwoofer.  A 15" Eminence Eminator in 4 cubic feet tuned low.  It'll be mounted up where the wall meets the ceiling in a corner to keep it out of the way.  Just using cheap 3/4" ACX plywood from Menard's, probably no finish on it.  Pics to follow shortly.
  • I think you will like that woofer
  • Silence is futile 
    PWRRYD
  • Makes me think of that one "I love Led Zeppelin.  When I listen to it...  so do my neighbors".  LOL
    kennykNicholas_23
  • Rock whole lotta love please