Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Comments

• Sweeeet!
    I have a signature.
  • Nice score! What is that " standard brand" all about? I'm not familiar

• Holy Toledo!!!! Seriously great score!
  • that is a really nice find!
  • Nice find! Time to get cracking on the tube amps. I need to off load a 5 channel amp and carver 2 channel and probably my umc200 preamp to help pay for design software lol
  • Quickly going through the tubes I guestimate that there are about 30 tubes that I will keep for future audio projects.  The rest are radio, TV and Ham tubes. Looking online a lot of those tubes are only worth a few bucks.  But there are a number of $50+ tubes I can sell on Ebay.
  • From what I understand the "Standard Brand" boxes are just that, boxes.  Inside them are RCA, Toshiba, Sylvania, etc. tubes.
  • Craig,

As we discussed, you wouldn't happen to have a 6E5 "magic eye" tube in there somewhere.  This tube was used in vintage Heathkit IT11 and IT28 capacitor leakage checkers and is a difficult tube to find.  I would be interested if the price was reasonable.  Thanks.

Bill
  • I will look Bill.
  • If Craig doesn't have one , I have something similar but not sure if it will fit your needs. It was pulled from a Telefunken radio.
  • Not sure how to test it though
  • I could try my old Heathkit, but not sure what setting to use. It smells like your grandma's closet but it still works.
    kennyk
  • I could try my old Heathkit, but not sure what setting to use. It smells like your grandma's closet but it still works.
      Wanna sell it?
  • Hey, the TC-2.  That is the same Heathkit checker that I have.  Small world. :)
  • Here is a shot of my TC-2 controls in the background with an antique 24 tube in the foreground:

• Wow, able to capture the screen even ! Nice shot sir! Craig , I think I'm going to hang on to it for a bit. Actually found it in an old house that was about to get tore down to make room for a car lot. 
  • Is there a rule of thumb for lighting ,Bill?
  • Bill , how did you do that? 
  • I used a 100mm macro lens.  My camera was on a tripod and the end of the lens was very close to the tube (roughly 6 inches away).   I stopped the lens down to F25 to get as much depth of field as I could and then focused on the glowing screen & filament.  At this close distance, even at F25, the depth of field was very narrow (maybe an inch or less).  

Distance rule of thumb:  If you want your pictures to have a personal type "connected" feeling with lots of impact, get in close and fire at point blank range!  

Lighting rule of thumb:  Put camera on tripod and turn off the flash.  Stop the lens down to F22 or so, set ISO to 100,  and adjust the shutter speed to expose for the filament of the tube.  Then adjust the lighting in the room, via curtains or light bulbs, to be roughly the same as the glow of the tubes.  I experience with a hand held high intensity lamp (with #93 bulb),  waving it around the front and back of the scene during the long exposure (5 to 30 seconds or so).  This makes it look like the background is illuminated by the glow of the tubes, if you do it just right.  Also, wave the high intensity lamp around the back of the tube to create a "rim" lighting effect.  This separates the tube from the background and makes it "pop."

Mzisserson
  • Hey Bill!  Tubedepot.com has a NOS tubes sale, 2 days only.  I hope you see this post.  Here is a link to your 6E5 tube.  BTW I don't have any in my treasure box.

https://www.tubedepot.com/products/6e5
  • I have purchased many many tubes from the guys at tubedepot.com.  Super nice guys and always ship fast and accurate.  Call them to place your order instead of ordering online.  They usually have several different makes of tubes available that you want and will send you exactly what you ask for.  Also check out their selection of resistors, caps, and wire.  Hope you see these posts before the sale ends at noon on Thurs.
  • Thanks for the heads up, Craig.  Will snap one up quick!
  • Bill, did you get what you needed?
  • :'( No, I messed up, was going to click over there and then forgot.

• Oops!  I've done that too :(  You can still buy one/some from them, just a few buck more now.  Specialty tubes like that are getting harder and harder to find.  I'd scoop up one or more while you can.  The Russian and Chinese modern production factories are only making popular tubes: power, rectifier, and small signal tubes.  The rest are NOS, used (questionable), or Tuff Shit Dude.
  • Very sad situation.  On the positive side, the more popular 1629 eye tube can be substituted for the 6E5, but you have to install a small 12 volt transformer inside your device to run the filament.  The filament on the 1629 is not center tapped like a 12AX7; it is 12 volts or bust.

I'll be stopping at Fair Radio Sales in Lima, Ohio on my way to MWAF.  They have a couple of huge grocery store size shelving racks filled with used "pull out" and NOS tubes.  Maybe they have a few of these laying around. :)

Thanks for checking on this for me.

• Any JAN/Phillips 6L6's in there by any chance?
  • Unfortunately no.  A few 6V6's and EL34's but that's it for octal power tubes.  As I have slowly started to sift through the boxes it is clear the old guy was a TV/radio/ham repair guy, not a tube collector.  Their are tons of small signal tubes for TV and tuners.  Not quite the score I originally thought, but for the price I got a deal on a bunch of NOS 12AT's, 12AX's, 12SN's, etc.
    kennyk
  • Have you guys ever been to Mendelsons in Dayton? They have a whole room dedicated to tubes. It's unbelievable the amount of stuff there. Search "Mendelsons walk around or tour" in YouTube. If you haven't been there plan a whole day before next MWAF and go check it out.
    PWRRYD4thtry
  • 6thplanet said:
    Have you guys ever been to Mendelsons in Dayton? They have a whole room dedicated to tubes. It's unbelievable the amount of stuff there. Search "Mendelsons walk around or tour" in YouTube. If you haven't been there plan a whole day before next MWAF and go check it out.
    Thanks, Eric.  I'll have to check this out next year.  I notice they are located downtown Dayton.  Do they have a free parking lot nearby for store customers?