Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Next project: Definition, Cherry Bombs,

Undecided on the name. Definitions for the drivers used, Cherry Bombs for the possible finish and the fact that these will be loud!

Active/Passive setup. Minidsp between woofer and tops. Adcom gfa555 bridged to bottom and Kenwood m1(?) to the tops. Drivers (all Eminence) Definimax 4012ulf-8s, 2 cube ported fb of 36ish, Beta8cx and N151M8, sealed. 

Cabinets are PA styled tapered, 3/4 11ply birch. Baffle, top, and bottom will have an additional layer of 1/2" mdf. Butt joints and a bunch of pocket screws. Dimensions come out to 33h, 16.5 w at frt, 12.5 at rear, 18d. 

I'm fortunate that my employer offers a "woodworking class" that gives me access to a pretty nice shop. So that's where these picks were taken. I will be taking them back to my shop for all of the finish work. 

1 idea I have for the finish on the sides is epoxy based garage floor covering. It's called Cherry Bomb, hence the possible name. It's pricey though and I will have an awful lot of left over material. Looking for alternatives as well. 
JavadS

Comments

• what is PA style taper? I see you have a tapered A, but is it tapered front to back or tapered bottom to top?
  • .... cha cha cha CHERRY BOMB !

greywarden
  • ani_101 said:
    what is PA style taper? I see you have a tapered A, but is it tapered front to back or tapered bottom to top?
    Tapered front to back. Front is 16.5, rear 12.5, 7° taper. 

Many pa cabinets have as much as 15° taper for floor monitor wedges or to allow them to be splayed when set side by side. 

• Cool project! 
  • Thank MIke. Weird that PE is not showing the CD as in-stock or in the "new" section. I did get them from PE. 
  • You should get your employer to offer a "finish spray painting" class.  Then you could just roll them over to the spray booth when the cabs are done :)
  • It's actually something I have talked to them about yesterday. We need another building or to add on to this one and right now, that isn't in the cards. There is a 2 car garage that is used for storage that is possible though. 

• Construction is complete and they are home. Prepping for finish starting this weekend. 

I have a lot of enclosures going at the same time. Client builds so these had to take a bit of a necessary step back. Plus we lost our central air so i have been putting in extra ot to pay for that.

Ah well such is life. I'm sure it will slow down once I'm dead lol
    Nicholas_23kennykJasonP