Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

The importance of measuring components.

I was thinking about a "bang my head against the wall" scenario I had a few years ago. I had purchased some resistors to use in a build, and as I was assembling the final prototype (leads twisted together stage), I lost all output on the tweeter. I disassembled, reassembled, remeasured, and voila - still no tweeter. I went into panic mode, and got my meter out and the tweeter showed good. 

After many hours of hair pulling, and tearing the crossover apart I finally narrowed it down to my series resistor on the tweeter. It was labeled "5.1 Ohm" however it was, in fact, a 5.1KOHM resistor. 

I now measure all of my components to help prevent premature hair loss and forehead shaped dents on my desk. 
I have a signature.
kennyksquamishdrocJavadSD1PP1N4thtryJasonP

Comments

• Ive had similar a couple of times, but more often than not it's my screwup of a poor connection.
  • I always measure resistors and caps. I want as exact as possible, not within 10%.

Must be OCD kicking in. :3
  • Unwinding bargain coils finally pushed me into a decent multimeter. Don't know now why I ever tried to get by without one.
    JasonP
  • I thought my resistor was 4.7, nope 47...it was in a bag of 4.7s
    JavadS
     John H, btw forum has decided I don't get emails
  • I had an issue recently with my measurements not matching my sims and about lost my mind trying to track it down. I remeasured everything multiple times, including all the components. Finally checked the test leads and some of them had gotten as high as >2 Ohms resistance. 
    kennykJasonP
  • NavyGuy said:
    I had an issue recently with my measurements not matching my sims and about lost my mind trying to track it down. I remeasured everything multiple times, including all the components. Finally checked the test leads and some of them had gotten as high as >2 Ohms resistance. 
    I threw away all of my test leads for that very reason. I now use point to point as much as possible when prototyping, or short jumpers of 16awg hookup wire - no alligator clips unless they are acting as a clamp on a point to point connection. 

I find I don't have to spend near the amount of time "voicing" as I used to. 
    kennykjhollanderJasonP
    I have a signature.
  • jr@mac said:  
    I threw away all of my test leads for that very reason. I now use point to point as much as possible when prototyping, or short jumpers of 16awg hookup wire - no alligator clips unless they are acting as a clamp on a point to point connection. 

I find I don't have to spend near the amount of time "voicing" as I used to. 

+1 I like soldering anyway.
     John H, btw forum has decided I don't get emails
  • Same here.
  • I use a lot of those jumpers. I may have to remeasure some speakers. 
    ............. could you hum a few bars.
  • Those jumpers bring in the element of individuality... Otherwise it's just ohm, farad and Henry at happy hour.
    JasonP
  • Well, I just tested a half dozen jumpers (with alligator clips) and they averaged .2 to .4 ohms.
    ............. could you hum a few bars.
  • I love wire nuts, work well for switching things up.
  • Wire nuts for me too. I even use them to connect drivers to my crossovers in finished speakers.

Ron