Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

The wait is over, the new driver has arrived

The driver many of you have been asking for is now finally here! http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/55-3669 

The revised version of our http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/55-2669 is now in stock and shipping.

This version has an anodized black cone and a shorting ring. 

Please take the time to leave any feedback or suggestions :)

Best Regards,

Geoff Schneider
MzissersonPWRRYDScottSkennykD1PP1N

Comments

• Cool!  Any special deals for us MAC/DIY guys ;)
  • Heres my measurements from the first set of -3669s. Damn nice!
    PWRRYDGe_off_mekennyk
  • Nice. 
    I have a signature.
  • PWRRYD said:
    Cool!  Any special deals for us MAC/DIY guys ;)
    Maybe in the future, but not right off the line ;)
  •  Hey Geoff! Cool looking driver and great price, I'd love to give these a try but my one hesitation would be the shape of the frame, any reason you guys just don't use around the frame? The odd-shaped frame is much more difficult to flush mount, maybe you guys could sell a router template to go along with these that would make it a no-brainer.

Thanks!
    Javad
  • edited March 2017
    JavadS said:
     Hey Geoff! Cool looking driver and great price, I'd love to give these a try but my one hesitation would be the shape of the frame, any reason you guys just don't use around the frame? The odd-shaped frame is much more difficult to flush mount, maybe you guys could sell a router template to go along with these that would make it a no-brainer.

Thanks!
    Javad
    Hey, Javad!

To keep the cost to quality ratio fairly strong, we used a decently common basket that is both very capable and also very strong. I will agree that flush mounting these is a bit tough, though. 

I will see what I can do about perhaps providing a cutout sheet on the website that would be to scale so somebody would be able to print it out, and possibly put these in the packaging for the next round.

Best Regards,

Geoff Schneider
  • Ordered a few. 
    I have a signature.
  • box model, impressions and perceived applications? What are you guys think to do with these?
  • edited March 2017
    Looks​ good in 10L BR tuned at 55hz matched up with the 55-5165.

............. could you hum a few bars.
  • I have a few plans for them. Possibly a big honkin LCR mated with TB 38-537SH tweets. TMs for all 3, 10L each. There are also some plans for some MTMs, and a couple of other ideas as well.
    kennyk
  • Barbie Girl MTM reprise?
    kennykD1PP1N
  • I'll start with dropping them into the 2-way I finished a few months ago. No plans for an mtm just yet. just curious to see how swappable they are. 

I have done no modeling yet, I simply do not have time for idle tinkering these days. I will have them for ddiy. 
    I have a signature.
  • JR.......Idle tinkering........ don't think so.
  • This would be a great Iron Driver.  B)
    squamishdrocFaceS7910
  • I have a 16 Liter MTM design with the 55-2669 and the Dayton ND25FW that sound pretty awesome.  I bet they make PE's "C-Note" sound like the brown note LOL, j/k. Wondering if these new drivers are worth the effort and money to upgrade the 2669's????
  • Heres my measurements from the first set of -3669s. Damn nice!
    Do you have a FR measurement?
  • Not yet. Possibly tomorrow
    kennykMzisserson
  • kennyk said:
    This would be a great Iron Driver.  B)
    YES!!!
  • Just need someone to take it on.
  • kennyk said:
    Just need someone to take it on.
    *sigh*
  • kennyk said:
    Just need someone to take it on.
    If I took this on, the rules would he very different. A date would be set, then the driver revealed two months in advance of the event. 

I would select the driver with the input of a few individuals. I would do a speaker to see where I shook out, but not be eligable for prizes.  

The cost would be dropped back to $200 limit drivers and crossover, including waveguides. 

24" stand rule too for ship-ins. 

When I orignally started Iron Driver, it was suppose to be adeaign challange. Hard, too.  It seems as time went on, there were some who got whiny about it, the rules stretched and were not held firm, and it ended up little to no fun. 

I would bring that element back, though I think intrest would be low-ish at that point since, well, its a challange. 
  • This is why we simply eliminated competitive aspects in MAC events. When I read peoples responses to winners/losers from other events, it really makes me happy we essentially have a room full of people who are just there to celebrate diy for the sake of diy. 
    I have a signature.
  • jr@mac said:
    This is why we simply eliminated competitive aspects in MAC events. When I read peoples responses to winners/losers from other events, it really makes me happy we essentially have a room full of people who are just there to celebrate diy for the sake of diy. 
    I agree 1000%. It is why it was elimated at all NE/NY events, too. 

Iron Driver was all about the challange. It made the design steaks higher too if there was some fame and fortune on the line. 

Maybe it can be non-competitave and scoring is given to the deaigners only so there is no "winner/Loser", participants getting a certificate or something as a token for their listening space? Or the overall scores of each speaker posted after the competition?

I am getting ready to focus less on speakers and more on other intrests, but the thought of a "challange" always puts the honeyglow in me cheeks. 
  • If there is any more intrest or thoughts, we can shift it to anothwr thread, too. 
  • Please shift to another thread. This should be given its own space and good discussion. It's not so much about the winning, but the chance to take on the challenge.
    Mzisserson
  • Just got mine and here's the DATS.

• Did some FR & distortion measurements.

Mzisserson
  • Damn nice consistency Kenny. Matches my pre-production pair perfectly. 
  • Nice work, and thanks Kenny! 

I am guessing the level isnt accurate, about how loud were tose distortion sweeps taken?
  • Ill have some inbox sweeps soon, level accurate. Find out if the anodizing and copper cap is an improvement or not. I was pretty excited about this drive. 
    I have a signature.