Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

First Home Subwoofer Build

I have built many subs for my cars over the last 25 years and thought it was time that I had one in the house for a change. I wanted to keep the cost of this build to a minimum and because we live in a townhouse I don't need a couple of 18's pounding away :p I chose the Dayton SD215 sub and a SA25 plate amp. I buy most of my parts from Solen here in Canada and with a 3" port the bill was right around $100. Box is 3/4" mdf with an extra 3/4" translam baffle glued and screwed to the mdf. Volume is 1.1cf and with the 3x12" port it tunes to 36hz. The baffle is strips of BB and two bits of my spalted Tamarind I had lying around, and the veneer is Birch (I think??). I really need to be better at keeping notes of my builds.... 

I have been making all my cuts recently mitres as I got a new saw and it makes it all so easy!

The first layer of the baffle - then I glued the other baffle to the front and trimmed it down with the router.

A few coats of poly and she's looking good!

D1PP1NSilver1omo4thtrykennykJasonPMzisserson

Comments

• Hmm - should have vacuumed up all the cat hair on the rug before taking pictures :3
    Turn2JasonPMzissersonkennyk4thtry
  • Awesome. Those strips of tamarind is making that translates pop. Nice mitered build.

Why is the top b
    Part of the brace missing the vertical section? Is the amp that long?
  • ani_101 said:
    Awesome. Those strips of tamarind is making that translates pop. Nice mitered build.

Why is the top b
    My guess is to clear the 12" long port. 

Nice looking build, Derrick. 
    I have a signature.
  • Hmm - should have vacuumed up all the cat hair on the rug before taking pictures :3
    You'll eventually learn that ALL decor is chosen and installed with cat hair in mind. ;)

Cool work.
    Nicholas_23squamishdroc4thtry
  • Nice looking build!  I LOVE the table saw stand you made, I have the same saw, start a new thread with info about that :p

Javad
    squamishdroc
  • ani_101 said:
    Awesome. Those strips of tamarind is making that translates pop. Nice mitered build.

Why is the top b
    Thanks guys!

As JR said it is to clear the port - it's 12" long.

• JavadS said:
    Nice looking build!  I LOVE the table saw stand you made, I have the same saw, start a new thread with info about that :p

Javad
    Done!
    JavadS
  • That baffle is just a beauty.
    squamishdroc
  • That baffle is just a beauty.
    Thanks
  • Simply amazing work! I love the miters, and inlays. 
    squamishdroc
  • Simply amazing work! I love the miters, and inlays. 
    Thanks Mike!