Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Who's Online (7)

Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Major Upgrades

It took some time but I have decided to do the one thing that be not done.

I am digitizing all of my music library...

I I have a Bracasti M1 DAC, but have been spinning from a transport. I have tinkered with just about EVERY USB based configuration I could, and/or get a firm demo of for a few hours and even at the best, they were swapping one set of evils for another for the sake of convenience. So I have been waiting for the right fly to get stuck to the paper and finally have found a solution. 

Bricasti and the M1 have been phenomenal. How often does a manufacturer state their product is future-proof, and it actually is! Mine has had the software updated, for free via chip Bricasti sent out, twice not to fix bugs, rather to make upgrades to the clock software and filtering. Further, they reached out to me to let me know! 

Well, I got another form of a notification from them stating they not have networking capability available for the M1. They developed an Arduino/Rpi/NUC type of linux based board computer (it is not off the shelf, though based on that type) that drops into the M1 with a couple of stand-offs. This acts as the actual renderer and through the network in your house, it connects CAT5 running off JRiver. The PC on the network (You can actually use simply a networking external driver plugged into the router) does NOTHING with the music. Basically, it is just the CD, and JRiver does nothing but tell the hard drive where to send, not the bitstream/clock, but a data package as raw data. This data package lands in the M1's renderer then is unpacked and converted back into digital audio, bit corrected and buffered, then send 3/4" directly into the M1's DSP eliminating the SPDIF/ABS/EBU, or chance for jitter and distortion. The renderer is synced with the M1's clock, too further eliminating jitter.  

Since the PC does nothing, it needs nothing. Just networking. I am using a simple Pent. I5 with 4GB ram running W10, base loaded with JRiver on it and a 4TB hard drive. 

All-in-all, It has capability to decode any format, and the fidelity is that of the best source I have heard: Buffering disc spinners (DSD, 24/192, 16/44, 16/48, and everything in-between). I was not about to drop $2K to $4K on a transport anytime soon, so holding pattern it was for the better part of 3 years! This is a big step for me. I do not change my system that often, nor believe there is always better (most things end up being forms of different) so I just wanted to share since I am kind of "nervo-cited" about it. Hence this spewing... I know #firstworldproblems and the like. 

but I will say this much....

I have been very fortunate because if it were not for the overwhelming generosity of Brian from Bricasti, I would not even own an M1 as it is WAY too spendy for me. I am also lucky that this comes in time for my ultimate build (Magnum Opus..Name may change due to a funny story about an ex-girlfriend) which Roman generously agreed to let me commission him for the cabinet work. So the audio gods have been smiling upon me and that is one thing I will never take for granted. 

Comments

• Nice unit, but not going to happen. Out of orbit for now sadly....  :'(
  • ani_101 said:
    Nice unit, but not going to happen. Out of orbit for now sadly....  :'(
    Hi Ani,
      Like I said, I have been lucky. There is a local group of old, curmudgeon-type audiophiles in the area. All way wealthier than I will ever be, but all very humble, kind, and their knowledge of music and sheer education level is stunning. 

I built a pair of speakers for an office for one of them long ago, and somehow they let me tag along on their adventures. I have learned a lot by their company, and I help where I can. One of them is blind, another does not drive, so I will cart them around when needed and the like. 

One of them ownes custom speakers by John Sollicito (Guy who's name is on the Patent for the "infinite slope" crossver and designer of the infinite slope loudspeaker). I re-built the crossovers on them for him. I refused to take payment other than for parts because he is a great guy and has gifted me a bunch of CDs.  After his speakers were no longer an issue for him, he ended up upgrading his ENTIRE system to Bricasti gear (GAWD some $50K worth) and was very, very happy (But sad because there was a Rolex he was eye-balling that he now had to wait another 6mos. to get... Tough life!). 

I think Brian Zolner from Bracasti appreciated how I tag along and help these guys out so for giggles I inquired about a C, or D stock M1, basically not caring how scratched or dented it was as long as it worked fine. He took care of me from there and luckily I received a small endowment from a deceased relative that I could use at the time to offset the cost (we weren't close...I was surprised).  I actuality ended up with the unit JA reviewed and measured in Stereo-pile. 

It is funny how the universe works and really, thats all it happens to be. Luck.
    squamishdrocS7910
  • Thanks Mike for posting your story. It sure is some great gear. Someday!