Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

PE design group

Just got the answer to a simple question..............you don't own the "intellectual property" of your design. Oh, you do get to keep the speakers.
............. could you hum a few bars.

Comments

• I think PE can go FUCK themselves!
    JasonP
  • Well, they aren't exactly promoting designs or even Speaker Design Team. It's halfassed.
    Budget is also very low. I told them already that a good speaker system takes at list 40 hours to design and verify and that's not including fancy woodwork and either the budget needs to be higher or promotional aspect better.
  • I'm surprised they don't have more "kits" available. The tritrix price was really good at $119 now the ONS kits are like 150 from just over $100. I really am starting to dislike them after they get rid of coupons and general price increases.
  • The new rules are more favorable to designers, in my opinion. Only three designs, one of which is obligated to use PE cabinets (I assume their finished models).

I will not be re-applying as I am currently maxed out on speakers/projects for the foreseable future - but will gladly share any advice for anyone looking to apply.
    I have a signature.
  • I was thinking the same thing Roman. They sure haven't taken much advantage of what they could have from a group like that. They could have given you guys a much larger budget for just one of the builds and gotten really spectacular designs. But they probably figure only the <$250 designs will sell well.
  • edited August 2016
    We should have a poll/pool who will apply/be accepted. :p
  • So no Accuton or RAAL designs? :)
  • The new terms outline three designs, one of which has to use the PE enclosures, one of which has to demonstrate at least basic woodworking skills, and one that is considered "open". Not sure what that exactly means, however.

Nonetheless, PE refuses to carry very many high end drivers, so yes we have no Raal today :)

Not sure what that is all about, it seems PE would be able to move tons of higher end drivers instead of that Aurum Cantus and Morel overhyped/overpriced stuff. If Stahl's recent whinefest is any indicator, though, it is probably due to him going apeshit on vendors.
    I have a signature.
  • What do you mean by going ape shit on venders?
  • I haven't decided yet. on one hand, I'm busy, on the other it would be a nice opportunity.
  • D1PP1N wrote: »
    What do you mean by going ape shit on venders?

Judging by his behavior on the forum, he acts like a spoiled child and is a pain in the ass to deal with.

I'm still tempted, but with a hernia that is taking forever to heal and upcoming knee surgery, I may have to bow out.
  • I will not be pursuing further participation in the design team, but I would encourage people to at least apply.

From what I can tell here are the criteria:

1. High profile guys first and foremost. You should be a known entity with a series of well documented designs that have been presented at at least a few DIY events.

2. Possess measurement gear and the ability to use it. Understand basic schematics. Be able to describe your process in a way that typical DIY'ers can understand.

3. Have a few designs that are not just another recombination of the same old RS-180/RS28.

4. Don't worry about forum participation - remember, I am an asshole at times and I have historically and repeatedly criticized Dayton Audio, Parts Express, other members, I have been been banned for calling Alan Erse a jackass (although that is like calling a door a door, if you ask me) - and I was still picked. That leads me to believe they are willing to look past that a bit.

I think it is a good opportunity for people if they are OK with the constraints. As I said, I think this second iteration is more well thought out, and I think budget will be more flexible. I am afraid, however, that a core group of guys will be perpetual members - effectively leaving five open spots rather than ten. I would prefer it if they disallowed current members from re-applying, to be honest.

Anyways, my $0.08
    I have a signature.
  • If PE had "permission" to use the designs, I could find that acceptable. I think they don't want to compete or advertise a possible retail product.
  • I decided to throw my name in the hat. Submitted my "Konnections" build. I'm fine with the restrictions Only 3 project and that is completely doable. I've had a few projects rolling around in my head (don't we all). Now it's just a wait and see.
  • I like to be first to congratulate you. I can't see how they could refuse. :)
  • Thanks Kenny.
  • Chuck, if you make it on the team, and I hope you do, work with Jill to go over the budget PE set for each project. My Good Vibrations were over $700, the Gojira amp was $400, and I'm working on the third one, a 3-way system. After the budget was set, I couldn't make the tweeter work to my liking, explained the situation to Jill, and she obliged. If you stuck to their prescribed budget, you'll be doing nothing but 2-way's with buyout drivers.
  • Man the budget is that low Hong? That's a real bummer if it makes the design team build stuff they do the necessarily want to build. Which would also lead them to do a worse job because they wont be doing it because they actually want too but rather to meet a quota.
  • The limit for each project is set at $300.
  • edited August 2016
    D1PP1N wrote: »
    Man the budget is that low Hong? That's a real bummer if it makes the design team build stuff they do the necessarily want to build. Which would also lead them to do a worse job because they wont be doing it because they actually want too but rather to meet a quota.

Bingo. Which puts you in a position where you have to decide. Do I build another stupid 2-way system that will occupy yet another shelve or do I buy more shit out of pocket and come up with something nice. But then again, PE gives you $50 retail credit per project (which amounts roughly to $30 wholesale or even less as their expenses) and that's borderline insulting.
    All this wouldn't matter if they really promoted individuals on the design team. Instead, it's all mixed in with the rest of the projects and topped up with stupid Photoshop stylized pencil sketches.

I've asked them for pricey drivers at one point and promised a nice veneer-work and ton of professional pictures annnnd they declined.
  • I was not allowed to exceed budget at all. Interesting.
    I have a signature.
  • In my latest project, I was frustrated to the point that I asked Jill if I could pay out of pocket for better drivers. I think she sensed I was not happy, so she sent me the upgraded drivers anyway. $300 is not much to work with.
  • My project came up to $500+. I gave them a ballpark before starting and they didn't argue.
    I am not sure if anyone could build a line array for less.
  • I also told them:
    Hey guys, I don't care what I cut the speakers out of. So, if you want to throw couple of hundred at nice plywood instead of painted MDF and pick them up later for photo-shoot and listening, they are yours, Showed them my furniture portfolio and so on.
    No go either.
  • hmm. I submitted the Konnections build. That was the one that PE asked for someone to use the Eminence buyout 6.5" drivers. PE floated the whole build, minus the enclosures of course. I worked with Jill and a budget amount was never brought up. I gave her an initial request of drivers, screws, grills, etc minus the crossover parts. Once I knew what parts I needed, I sent a second request. Total came in around $500.
  • Damn, the body of my designs are $250 or less for drivers and XOs.
  • Chuck I think you will do a great job if selected to the team, which I expect to happen.
  • Thank you Craig. The support I get from you guys really means a lot.
  • Wow, i didn't realize just how bad it was over at PE..... it's incredible how fast things can turn, and too bad.

And I agree about the budget for builds. I build a lot of the more budget conscientious builds and somehow a $150 project is $500, so I can imagine for you guys designing how quick that budget builds.
  • On my Victor build, I followed the budget set up this year's InDIYana event which was $600 in drivers. I came in at about $500. If I'd have had the funds, I would have used a better mid. As it was, I used what I had on the shelf there. Add in crossover components, and I was north of $900. Then add in the cabinets. There I was fortunate enough to have something unique on hand, If I'd needed to build from scratch, there would easily be another $500 in them. These are what I consider a "high end" build and the cost reflects it. But I don't expect many if any to copy them either. Most people would rather spend that kind of cash on an already finished product.