Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

Some obscure Realistic drivers on the way...

Been many years since I started the hunt for these two tweeters from the glory days of Realistic, and the other night on Ebay I found a listing that contained a pair of each (plus some other stuff) for less than the last single pair of used that I saw! The listing was three minutes old when I hit "buy it now"!

Items of interest are the 40-1370 and 40-1374 dome tweeters. Very rare, rare enough in fact that Radio Shack does not list them on their support page. 

The other old tweeters are a mismatched, but strikingly similar pair of vintage add-on tweeters. Should be cool if I ever get around to doing a serious vintage build... Love the retro styling on them!

I suspect the one on the right is missing a faceplate, or it is still in the box. Either way, will be fun to see what those are all about. 

Very happy right now, there are only a few drivers from Realistic I am still looking for - I want a pair of the fabled 40-1197/FE-103, for example. 

Enough for now, though - I am going to enjoy my summer building speakers I could only dream about 25 years ago. 
I have a signature.

Comments

• Nice, though I am not much familiar with releastic. Could someone fill me in on the glory? I will give it a search any keyword or models I should look for?
  • Most of the glory comes from the rose colored glasses I wear, plus some of them are really nice sounding drivers - the duct tape decorated 3-way I did uses Realistic drivers, for example.
    I have a signature.
  • I like the look of external mounted tweeters. Its possible its just me wanting to cut out less holes but I think they look good. 
  • Nice score JR! I'm a bit of a sucker for retro 80's stuff
  • I have pair of the Mylar domes in the stash ( third from the left in you pic) They measure a little wonky, but might end up in a nice low budget build someday. Totally agree with the "rose colored glasses" comment. Stemming from back when the Shack was one outlet for raw drivers to feed the start of the hunger we try to fill with every build we do these days...
  • This thread revived an old memory. When I was in college I owned a pair of mini mesa speakers like these. Somehow, :p I managed to overclock them to the point they didn't sound quite right. These were pretty much the same size as the Minimus 7(?), i believe. Anyway, long story short, I picked up some replacement woofers at RS and swapped them out, because, where else could you go?

I didn't discover PE until 20 years later. And I just today realized I've been doomed to this hobby for longer than I'd realized.

httpbetaupsilondeltacomtempmesa_spkrsjpg

jr@macS7910