Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

53-5160 3/4" Paper cone tweeter

I picked up a pair of these to you with the 8" clear poly cone woofers on sale and TBD mid. 

Z on both units closely matches  MFG spec

The bump at about 4.5 K may be due to how proud the face-plate is causing a reflection. there is not much in the way of a "wave-guide" on the face-plate. It is in the MFG specs too. 

On Axis, both units I have in house. Close enough. Believe it or not that is 1/48th smoothed at 30" away. IB essentially. On the floor face up, recessed in a 1"x24"x24" block of soft foam with thick blankets outside of that. Very little response variation in terms of the "wiggles". 

Off axis 0-45 of one unit and phase. Very nice here. 

Distortion, level accurate, 30". It is seriously low. 

So... 

Super tweeter above 5k? or really good paper cone option 3K, 2LR? 

That beep at 4.5K is a friggen rock. It does not move or change off-axis which makes me think it is definitely a reflection off the edges of the face-plate. That, and it is in the 2nd order domain (3rd order in the usable spectrum of this tweeter 3K+, is 50dB down on average or in ultra-dome/ribbon territory) so when listening to the Whoop whoops It was fairly smooth despite what the screen was telling me.

I think it will be worth dealing with. It is a fine line because throwing a fist-full of cash at the 4.5K blip in terms of crossover may not be the answer. At that point it would likely be better to just upgrade the unit, but it is a fine line because this seems to have some interesting elements going for it that would make this a thing of beauty if that treb-bluge can be delt with. That will come in time, but for $13. Very cool, and unique tweeter that just looks amazing. 
Face

Comments

• Be cool above 5k above a paper cone mid. 
    I have a signature.
  • Thanks for posting the info Mike.  Interesting tweeter. 
  • I've often wondered why there's no real super high end cone type tweeters. I have my thoughts, some obvious, but with the advent of technology and materials you'd think there'd be more options in that department.
  • 6thplanet said:
    I've often wondered why there's no real super high end cone type tweeters. I have my thoughts, some obvious, but with the advent of technology and materials you'd think there'd be more options in that department.
    If these pan out as planned, they may be suprisingly good. It will be a while, but if I am the firat to use it I will share the findings as they evolve. 

The 3" Goldwood cone is very good, too. Not perfect, but there is a lot to be said about the tiny voice coil and the minor directivity control that is very easy and enjoyable to lisyen to all day. Also the presentation of the lower treble has a smooth, powerful presence that domes dont do....like a ribbon. More surface area=more acoustic betterness. 

...at the cost of mass, disperson, etc... Never a free lunch. 
  • Could you put a chamfer or round over on the opening?
  • edited January 2017
    Just curious, why can't these be shipped via air?  @Ge_off_me , is there anything hazardous materials, flammable bits, lithium batteries, live animals, or perishable items inside?  D
    ani_101greywarden
  • Magnets, I think. 
  • I've transported speakers in check-in and carry-on many times without a problem.
    ............. could you hum a few bars.
  • Face said:
    Could you put a chamfer or round over on the opening?
    Hi Mike,
       I am pretty sure thats what I am going to attempt when the time comes. The width of the faceplate opening coorosponds to 1/2 wavelengh of 4.5K. It has to be the cause. 
  • Face said:
    Just curious, why can't these be shipped via air?  @Ge_off_me , is there anything hazardous materials, flammable bits, lithium batteries, live animals, or perishable items inside?  D
    Magnets, I think. 
    Magnets is right! lol