Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

GRT 145 Second Gen Viawave tweeter is getting tested and finalaized.

Comments

• I think the CQ76 would be a closer fit.
  • Wolf said:
    I think the CQ76 would be a closer fit.
    It's 91db w/m
    The smaller one is listed as 88db w/m

Beyma TPL-150?
    I never worked with it. I think Pete has. If I remember correctly, he mentioned it on PETT.

• It's also supposed to play lower, and to my eyes, the HD plot looks better too. That's why I suggested it.
  • Wolf said:
    I think the CQ76 would be a closer fit.
    It's 91db w/m
    The smaller one is listed as 88db w/m

Beyma TPL-150?
    I never worked with it. I think Pete has. If I remember correctly, he mentioned it on PETT.

I played with the H version.  Very nice sounding ribbon that cross at 2.2-2.4k LR2, slightly lower LR4.  Some at DIYA claim it can cross lower, but doing so sounded like crap, IMO. It's biggest downfall is that the top end dispersion is very poor.  It's ok if you don't mind your head being in a vice, otherwise, move on.

• S7910jr@macNicholas_23GowaD1PP1NjhollanderBryan@MACFacekennyk4thtryand 1 other.
  • edited March 2018
    We've come a long way from a table saw, router, and drill press.
    The end results from CNC are just too good.

But Chahly - Stahkist don't want speakers that look good, Stahkist wants speakers that sound good!
  • I can't help but think of a Monty Python skit:

I'm not deaf, I'm just not listening.
  • Not trying to thread jack or derail thread but i recently cut a baffle for ld22 but havent progressed to measurements yet. I do like the faceplate idea. 
    dcibel4thtryNicholas_23
  • I think I want new wooden faceplates for all my tweeters  :)
     John H, btw forum has decided I don't get emails
  • I like the wooden guides myself. :)
    If anyone wants to send me 3d file, I can take a stab at it next time, I am machining guides.
  • It was my first 3d cut ive made my on machine. I didnt want to risk messing up real wood baffles and still need to verify it works as design before i invest further. 
  • nice, how we do order the guides?
  • I am trying to see what species and how many guides I can get an order for. Also, if there's a preference between finished or unfinished. They do take a bit of time to CNC so I am not sure on the price yet. What do you guys think? 
    greywarden4thtry
  • Kaiser Acoustics in Muchen.
  • GRT-145-4 now has an 8ohm brother. I should be getting a few pairs of GRT-145-in 2 to 3 weeks.

Silver1omoS7910
  • Hey guys.
    Opinions needed.
    Dmitry has been asking me to come up with a kit or just a design for DIY crowd. Obviously, public design sells drivers etc.
    I stated working on the small monitor, using 8ohm GRT and 8ohm version of Vifa NE 149 (which is really excellent driver. Surprised it's not used in every other build.) Initially, I looked at PE cabinets as a target for front baffle size to make the design easier for DIY crowd with limited amount of tooling and desire to build complete cabinet. It looks to me tho that the pricing on PE boxes went up and they are much less attractive now VS a few years ago. Are they they still the bee's knees ?
    The other option is to come up with the complete pre-cut kit. If that's the case, what would make it attractive?
    Thanks for the ideas in advance! 
    kennyk
  • I don't built kits, but the biggest selling feature to me would be items that can't be easily made at home by running some boards through the table saw, like the nice cut wooden waveguides.
    I'm not deaf, I'm just not listening.
  • I think it would be a great kit, especially if it's small enough for a desktop. Something like faceted baffles or integrated slot port might lure people who normally wouldn't buy a full kit. Maybe offer a few tested & documented voicing options - flat, more BSC for free-standing position, a BBC dip, or gently sloped treble response for nearfield listening. Make it an experimenters package! That ended up being a good business model for Doc at Bottlehead years ago.

Just to add to my own speaker design toolbox - How would you tackle the abrupt step down in the NE149 response at 1.5K?

rjj45
  • edited October 2018
    Isn't that woofer used in  Curt Campbell's Microstatements?
    http://speakerdesignworks.com/MicroStatements_2.html
  • Tom_S said:
    Just to add to my own speaker design toolbox - How would you tackle the abrupt step down in the NE149 response at 1.5K?

Hi Tom,

I'm not sure how the factory measurements compare to the actual but this is a nearfield measurement Curt took of the NE149 we used in the Finalists. It's a very nice sounding driver, IMHO! You can check the Finalist crossover on Curt's website to get an idea of how he approached taming the driver.

HTH

Jim

Gowa
  • jholtz said:
    Tom_S said:

Hi Tom,

I'm not sure how the factory measurements compare to the actual but this is a nearfield measurement Curt took of the NE149 we used in the Finalists. It's a very nice sounding driver, IMHO! You can check the Finalist crossover on Curt's website to get an idea of how he approached taming the driver.

HTH

Jim

That does look better than the graph on their spec sheet, even if the resolution isn't the same. Things must smooth out a little on a narrower baffle. I'll have to check out Curt's writeup again.

Thanks!
  • Will these be available as a separate item? I'm ready to feel the love.
    But Chahly - Stahkist don't want speakers that look good, Stahkist wants speakers that sound good!
  • My data on Vifa NE is rather similar to Curt's.
    rjj45 said:
    Will these be available as a separate item? I'm ready to feel the love.
    Which items?

• dcibel said:
    I don't built kits, but the biggest selling feature to me would be items that can't be easily made at home by running some boards through the table saw, like the nice cut wooden waveguides.
    So, may be include front baffle in a nice veneer with cutouts done? This way, only the box needs to be added.
    dcibelNicholas_23