Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

IowaDIY 2016

edited September 2016 in DIY
Hey guys, I wanted to start a project management thread for IowaDIY - for a few reasons. We have some guys here who have not done a lot of DIY event planning, and because we need to get rolling on this. Sooo.....

Due to my work schedule for the foreseeable future I will not be taking as active a role as I have in the past. We have our first expansion event coming up and that will require a lot of additional hours. The good thing? I am hourly and am making some serious bank out of this situation. The bad? No time for play.

This is a condensed list of what we will need for the event:

1. Equipment. I want to go full digital this year, meaning no moving parts in the active chain. If people bring a CD instead of utilizing our upload option, we will rip it on-site. We need a fast PC with (preferably a solid state hard drive). Music files should be stored locally, and not on an external hard drive. We need a DAC capable of 24/192 resolution - I plan on using some material from HD tracks and I know some of the other guys will want to do that as well. A pre-amp with squeaky clean analog in/out, and an amp with at least 200 honest watts per channel. I will not be supplying any equipment this year - I just cannot lug the Theta around anymore.
2. Music. Demo tracks take time to get right. Cutting them into short sections is easy enough - cutting them in a way that offers a challenging passage while maintaining listenability is a learned skill. Additionally, learning how to "read" the files in order to properly interpret frequency content and dynamic range is necessary. I expect people to dislike some of the tracks based on personal music preference - but at our events rarely do we hear a "that track is horrible for demo purposes because dynamics/frequency range" complaints. I am ok with music people don't like but when we read complaints about tracks that have been chosen it is generally complaints about how shitty those tracks are for forcing a system to show its abilities. I like to think Bryan and I have developed a good skill set in that regards and Jason is coming along nicely. That being said, I wouldn't mind involving the members here in that selection process - ramping up the quality of the demo music will have ripple effects outside of our little group.
3. Our venue this year will not allow food and beverage. Suggestions for lunch will be welcome.

I have a signature.

Comments

• I have no problem #2, if I can help. I'm out of the rest. Sorry.
    ............. could you hum a few bars.
  • Yikes - when it rains, it pours. JR, hoping all is well and you're not on the burnout side of your biz - it's so easy to do. Digital = yes. Ripping on site = no way. For the folks who still have a problem creating a demo, I can help with that this year. However, there will be a stark cutoff date, well in advance of the DIY. As far as lunch is concerned, we're on our own this year with a 90-min allocation for that.
    My signature goes here
  • Oh and equipment isn't a problem. No worries, JR
    My signature goes here
  • Burnout shouldn't be too much of an issue - they are willing to spend some money so I am able to pay my way out of a lot of the headaches involved with rolling out new equipment and renovating older stuff.

In hindsight, yes - ripping on-site is a bad idea. We will make sure to forward my Audacity tutorial to people. It includes some good tips for choosing music in addition to the fundamentals of ripping. Reading between the lines on the various MWAF posts over at PETT it is obvious that people are unhappy with how the music was handled and I am proud that we dodge that bullet at our events. Between the passive-aggressive "can't believe the results" posts and the "some presenters ramble on" complaints, it just reinforces my belief that we have hit on possibly the best compromise for these things. In our announcements etc, I believe we should really emphasize the option of people writing their long-winded presentations down and handing out flyers to interested people. I thought I would die of boredom at Iowa in 2014 during Rory's speech - and there were a lot of "get on with it" looks in the crowd.

As far as lunch suggestions, I was thinking more along the lines of coordinating a group lunch at a local restaurant. There is a Pizza Ranch in Grinnel... The pizza is pretty shitty but they have good fried chicken and a decent buffet and will often do group rates.

In the past. that shitty Mexican restaurant has been the Friday night dinner joint but the last few years, the steakhouse has been my choice. Simply better food there.
    I have a signature.
  • You could talk a local "el fresco" truck to show up, just make sure he can sell BEER.
  • As you know, I am building a fully digital playback deck that will cover #1 perfectly. It will be ready in time for Iowa for sure. I'll be able to supply test data to confirm its quality too, before the show :)
    = Howard Stark: "This is the key to the future. I'm limited by the technology of my time, but one day you'll figure this out."
  • How about a Demo contest/competition.
  • Sounds like a nice thing for someone else to plan, perhaps if enough guests agree to it, it can be done at the hotel.
    I have a signature.
  • Maybe online before the event days.
  • Maybe.
    I have a signature.
  • I really wish I could be there. Alas this year is my 20th wedding anniversary and we need to celebrate that.
  • edited July 2016
    The 2016 Iowa event web site sans sponsors, registration, etc. Lodging info and critical info is there. Take a look and reply with comments, critique, etc. Thanks.

http://www.midwestaudioclub.com/events/iowa2016/
    My signature goes here
  • I really wish I could be there. Alas this year is my 20th wedding anniversary and we need to celebrate that.

Congrats man - two decades!! Much to be proud and thankful for.

My signature goes here

• We can pump the link to the tutorial on the MAC and IOWA FB pages ahead of the show and shit, even link it on the show info page (I'm on that now). People forget these things quickly, but your tutorial is awesome and will remind folks that anyone can cut a great demo.
    jr@mac wrote: »
    We will make sure to forward my Audacity tutorial to people. It includes some good tips for choosing music in addition to the fundamentals of ripping. .

My signature goes here
  • Will I be able to demo an active system? It will be fully self contained using speakon connectors so it shouldn't take more than 30 seconds longer to hook up. I would just need the front end to feed my MiniDSP rca inputs.
  • I don't see why not Craig, my front end will have RCA outs from line-level to pro-level (or more) so we can handle your system no problem. Just keep the setup time short and we are good to go.
    = Howard Stark: "This is the key to the future. I'm limited by the technology of my time, but one day you'll figure this out."
  • With the speakon connectors it should hook up just as quick as banana plugs. The class D amps don't need to warm up like my tube gear does ;)
  • Hey guys! I'm trying to decide what speakers to bring. I want to bring something that hasn't previously been shown at one of the DIY events in the Midwest. I have a pair of Paul's Core 2-ways and a pair of his Sunflowers. I also have a single driver TABAQ with the Dayton PS95-8. Any suggestions???
    Thanks!
  • Open baffles are a rarity as well as full rangers, while many know the core, few would have actually heard it!
  • I would personally love to hear the sunflowers.
  • I can take a shot at #2 to help out with prep. My amplification is a little undersized so I'm out there. The SR-903 will only do something like 160 + 160 peak. Specs here for if I read them wrong: https://stereonomono.wordpress.com/2014/04/05/hitachi-sr-903/

As to #3, how close is the Jimmy Johns? We could just invade them for lunch.

Mike, my vote would be for the PS95 in the TABAQ with the Sunflowers being second choice.
  • D1PP1N wrote: »
    I would personally love to hear the sunflowers.

Same here.
  • I'll see if I can squeeze the Sunflowers and the TABAQ in my vehicle. The Sunflowers will basically be bare particle board, maybe have primer on them. However, they'll still sound great!
  • No worries about the finish... please bring the Sunflowers Mike.
  • How are you liking them so far Mike?
  • D1PP1N wrote: »
    How are you liking them so far Mike?

Absolutely no complaints, other than the size. I'm very happy with the sound and imaging. No sub required. Highs and mids are clear, but not over done. Definitely a keeper, especially if I ever get around to finishing my basement.
  • Are they that large?
  • PWRRYD wrote: »
    Are they that large?

Not ridiculously large, but larger than what my family room will easily accommodate. They'll be great in my basement, when I get it finished.
  • I'm bummed to be missing this again... maybe next year... otherwise I may have to do a smaller early spring gathering of people crazy enough to venture into Chicago in, say, February... it was intended to happen this year and then... y'all have fun. I don't know if the last 2-day race will be important or not, but I'm hoping it is and I can hang win my class again this year.
  • That's 1000mi drive for me, so that would be a no-go, since I just started a new job and my schedule will be wed/thu off for at least the next 6 months. One day I'll make it to another show.

deadhorse - leviathan - harbinger - shockwave (wip)