Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

OT- the neverending beer thread

What ya drinking?   Any honorable mentions?  brew news? 

Comments

• I'm dull but I like shocktop, leinenkugel's, blue moon and hacker-pshorr and Sam adams. I dislike ipa's.  
  • Just about any oatmeal or milk stout I can get my hands on...except for Blue Moon's Cappuccino Oatmeal Stout, too freakin sweet.
  • Oberon season is over.
  • I just grabbed a Founders Backwoods Bastard that I received from a friend as a thank you for tech support.  It is not a subtle or delicate brew.  The label reads "Expect lovely warm smells of single malt scotch, oaky bourbon barrels, smoke, sweet caramel and roasted malts, a bit of earthy spice and a scintilla of dark fruit."  I don't really know if it has all those things, but it is distinctive...
    brek81
    Keep an open mind, but don't let your brain fall out.

Sehlin Sound Solutions
  • The last few weeks I have been enjoying the fresh hopped beers. The hop harvest was a little late this year so the fresh hopped beers are sharing shelf space with the pumpkins and the stouts. Had a good fresh hopped ESB the other day which was quite nice and my favorite Sartori Harvest IPA from Driftwood brewery.
    jhollander
  • So many decent beers lately.  While in Amana Colonies, Millstream had some decent beers, I like their Amber Brau.  Just finished a 4 Hands cast iron oatmeal brown.

Founders is awesome 

This weekend our local liquor store is tapping a New Holland Dragons Milk keg.  I've never had it on tap.  Typically their draft beers (yes at the liquor store bar) are $2 for 12 oz. For less than $10 bucks someone else is driving.
    duanebro
     John H, btw forum has decided I don't get emails
  • Dragons milk *drool*

Ive been smitten with rover trucker from toppling goliath. 

But tonight was all about the breckenridge oatmeal stout
    jhollander
  • I really like Southern Tier Choklat. Good balance of hops and malt. Mokah is a bit too hoppy, Creme Brulee is way too sweet. Everyday stuff is Yeungling, it's good beer and it's everywhere on the east coast.
    deadhorse - leviathan - harbinger - shockwave (wip)
  • I'm not a pumpkin guy but, Southern Tier "Warlock"(stout with pumpkin spice) is very nice.
    ............. could you hum a few bars.
  • I love you with all my stout.... by evil twin.  i wish my death to be drowning in this beer
    duanebro
  • I just picked up a growler of bells double brown ale from them yesterday. I tried several beers while there for lunch. The smoked stout (only available at bells cafe) paired most excellent with their Jam burger. 

Then I stopped by founders for dinner on the way home. Mixing their Rubeus with oatmeal stout was wonderful.
    brek81
  • I don't drink a lot of beer, but I always find myself looking forward to the winter for a good solid Barleywine, though they are hard to find in my area. I'm hoping to track down some Stone Brewery Old Guardian this year though. Can't wait!
    = Howard Stark: "This is the key to the future. I'm limited by the technology of my time, but one day you'll figure this out."
  • Barleywine is what got me started on beer. When I lived in Baltimore my bff worked at Pratt St. Ale House and they had one called "hot monkey love" or maybe that's just what the staff called it. Really good stuff, not super sweet. There's a Mead brewery (distillery?) in Baltimore, next time I go visit I want to bring home a few growlers of the stuff.
    deadhorse - leviathan - harbinger - shockwave (wip)
  • some of the cleaner Belgian quads are good subs for barley wine.  i <3 big beers.

• Finishing up the Oktoberfest's, I think this year in bottles my fav was Sam Adams, on tap was Big River Brewing out of Tennessee. 

Regarding the Dragons Milk on tap, it was great. Big thick stout head and zero alcohol smell/ kick, smooth and caramelly (if that's a word).  Top of my list for imperial type of stouts.  The New Holland rep was in store with samples of their new double IPA, which was OK.  I really prefer a higher alcohol imperial IPA that dampens the hop flavor a bit more.

Face
  • Brought some Brooklyn Sorachi Ace to a cozy home wedding reception last night, great beer that manages to hide its 7.2% abv somehow.
    = Howard Stark: "This is the key to the future. I'm limited by the technology of my time, but one day you'll figure this out."
  • JasonP said:
    Brought some Brooklyn Sorachi Ace to a cozy home wedding reception last night, great beer that manages to hide its 7.2% abv somehow.
    I have had that one before - it's quite nice!
  • Just tried Blue Moon limited release "Cappuccino Oatmeal Stout". Very carbonated, tastes like a chocolate soda, decaffeinated coffee........a pass.
    R-CarpenterFace
  • Last week, O’Fallon Smoked Porter, disgusting,1.0.  Bell’s Java Stout, 3.5.  Serria Narwhal imperial stout, 3.75. Rouge Mocha Porter, 4.0 more bitter less chocolate.

• I havent had a drink since the 29th.... stupid meds

• This is my watering hole right now. 
    brek81kennykFace
    I have a signature.
  • jr@mac said:
    This is my watering hole right now. 
    Christ!
    kennyk
  • Bar bill must hurt! But do they have gold rimmed glasses?
  • Christ!
    Probably painted on the ceiling...
    kennykJasonPS7910