Please review the site Rules, Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy at your convenience. Rules, TOS, Privacy
Get familiar with the reaction system: Introducing the Reaction System

3-way discussion

The speaker kind of course.....

I'm looking to build two big towers for next year. I was looking for any tips for choosing drivers aside from having a good overlap to make the designs easier to accomplish. For example do you try to get all the sensitivities to be close to each other? I agree with JR with having 2 or 3 woofers per side really speaking to me aesthetically but that's not 100 percent necessary. I'm really jumping into the fire with these but I expect to come out with a lot more knowledge gained trying to do 3-4 designs. Like I said any pointers and words of wisdom would be helpful. Here are some drivers I currently have. I noted the sensitivity's for easier reference. 

My dad has a pair of Transducer Labs - N26CR2-A  (91.5db 2.83v/1m) and a pair of the Sb Acoustics 10" SB29NRX75-6 (88db 2.83v/1m) and we are looking for a really nice mid to mate with it. If you guys have any good suggestions i'm all ears. 

I have a few drivers laying around.I'm not sure if the Dayton RSS210HF is best woofer choice but I have a pair. 

A Pair of  SB-acoustics SB29RDCN-C000-4 (94db 2.83v/1m) neo smaller flanged tweeter

A Pair Vifa NE149-8 ohm 5-1/4" mids (88.2db 2.83v/1m)

A Pair  RSS210HF-4  (85.6db 2.83v/1m) Im not opposed to buying woofers for this build. 4x anarchy drivers are tempting. 

I have a pair of rs28F and rs28A's too but really don't want to do any more builds with these drivers aside from trying the denovo's rs28 waveguides I bought last year. 

Comments

• Take full advatage of what a 3-way allows: bigger wooofers/lower extension, dedicated midranges that can focus on low distortion through their pass band (usually by uderhung motors, or midbasses that are more a mid than a bass) and the ability to cross higher to a more specialized tweeter like the Viawave. 

You have some great drivers. Weather you choose to use what you have (like the vifas in a sort if a mtmww) or start ground up, take advantage of the dedicated mid in one form or another. 

$0.02
    audioanarchist
  • For the mid between the sb 10 and TL tweeter, I'd consider using a seas or higher end scan. You need something with low distortion and detail. I used the scan disco in the Victors and I just don't like it. Wrong driver for the application. 
  • I think you have very capable drivers already.  I would consider adding a second pair of RSS210's so you have two per side.  I think the ideal situation would be if you had the 8 ohm versions, so you could wire them in parallel and boost sensitivity.  You will have to wire the 4 ohm drivers in series, so sensitivity won't improve much (if one of the woofers is close to the floor, you may actually get a little help in that regard).  A good thing about the 210's is that you can run them either sealed or ported (sealed F3 will be in the mid to upper 40's, while they will hit into the 20's vented}.

I have heard the Vifa mids in Jim Holtz's Finalist design and this weekend in the Micro Statements.  I would put their performance level closer to Seas/Scanspeak than the scan disco.
    Keep an open mind, but don't let your brain fall out.

Sehlin Sound Solutions
  • I didn't think they offered a 8 ohm model. I could be wrong but yet it's a real bummer. 
  • 2 ohm with pro amps, inuke DSP would be ideal to deal with room modes
  • That Vifa NE will make an excellent midrange between the T-labs and 10" SB. Those NE drivers are very well designed and built and exhibit all the characteristics you want in a midrange . . . smooth response and very low distortion.
  • I'll talk with my dad about it. the TL tweeter and sb10" are his drivers and the vifa ne149-8 are mine so we will have to work something out. He seems to want large drivers for a mid but I think the vifa would work great as well. 
  • A small format mid works better with a non-waveguide dome tweeter.
  • Oh boy, I think my dad wants to upgrade the woofers so Ithat appears will be buying the Sb 10" woofers. I have the 8ohm version of the vifa 149 that is a few db less sensitive than the 4 ohm version.

if I was to try this tweeter sb29 http://meniscusaudio.com/sb-sb29rdcn-p-1049.html

This ne149-8 mid
    https://www.parts-express.com/peerless-by-tymphany-ne149w-04-5-1-4-full-range-woofer--264-1082

This woofer
    http://meniscusaudio.com/sb-sb29nrx756-p-749.html

How do you fella's feel about that?

MzissersonkennykJasonP
  • Looks like its going to be a hell of a machine! 
  •  Peerless lists the NE149-8 at 86.7 dB. Looks like a marriage made in heaven.
    ............. could you hum a few bars.

• D1PP1N
    deadhorse - leviathan - harbinger - shockwave (wip)
  • Sorry to rehash an old thread. I bought the sb10 woofers and TL tweeters from my dad and still have the vifa ne149 mids. Im contemplating between using the Transducer labs n26cr2-a i already have or possibly buying this satori tweeter.  https://meniscusaudio.com/product/sb-satori-tw29r-b/  i kind of want this to be my be all end all build (no more higher end shit after this) its like $900 or so in drivers so its a kind of pricey build. 

This build is next in line so it will be starting soon but since im going to meniscus this week i figured id ask everyones oppinions. I hate this design stage because i want to just build them once and not do a  test box incase they suck or i dont like a driver im  not out like $150 in wood or veneer. Better just build some test cabs for now i guess. 
  • Mike, between the 2, I prefer the TL. No particular reason other than to me it just sounds better. 
  • Stick with the TL. Great sound and round face plate.
    ............. could you hum a few bars.
  • I prefer to stick with the TL's because it will cost me $260 less lol im low on cashola as well from my poor spending habits. 
  • edited October 2017
    My preference for a 3-way speaker is a symmetrical arrangement VS asymmetrical It has to do with listening habits and how the speaker portrays virtual sound-stage
    I would recommend building Statement type of the arrangement but without the  vented midranges. Instead, I would add rear-firing tweeter with independent L-pad.
    TL is a very robust tweeter. however in a 3-way design, very low x-over point between tweeter and midrange is not necessary. I'd look for a smaller format tweeter like Hiq or a planar or ribbon.
  • That going to add like 600 or so to the budget. Not sure i want to do that! It would be a friggen huge build tho thats for sure.